Ready to celebrate Mother’s Day? Find the perfect picks for every fan’s collection. Shop Now

RIP Vivienne Westwood

JStoll93

It’s with great sadness today, that I learned of the passing of one of the great designers of the 20th century, Vivienne Westwood. I’ve loved her work since I first saw it exhibited in San Francisco at the De Young Museum over 15 years ago. 

During her life she made a couple notable Barbie collaborations. The first being in 1998, designing the very limited Life Ball Barbie Doll. 

Could contain: Book, Publication, Person, Bride, Woman, Adult, Female, Wedding

Could contain: Dress, Person, Woman, Adult, Female, Formal Wear, Baby, Long Sleeve, Fashion, Coat

Could contain: Book, Publication, Person, Bride, Woman, Adult, Female, Face, Advertisement, Poster

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

RIP, Vivienne Westwood!😥 I knew about the Life Ball Barbie Doll that she designed. She was really a redressed and restyled "Great Eras" Victorian Lady Barbie (The "Victorian Lady" doll is a part of my doll collection. I loved the old "Great Eras" Barbie dolls!). Vivienne Westwood's Life Ball Barbie has always been quite rare and expensive. I would hate to know how much she goes for on the secondary market in today's inflation impacted economy!

I didn't know that Vivienne Westwood also designed the real life dress that Zendaya wore to the Academy Awards that Mattel made a OOAK doll of her based on! That's neat! It looks like Carlyle Nuera designed the OOAK Zendaya Barbie doll! She is pretty!

I don't know if this makes sense to you at all, JStoll93, but when I first learned of Guo Pei's fashions through Barbie, she kind of reminded me of a Chinese styled Vivienne Westwood (both designers' fashions tend to be quite over the top and theatrical)! Well, I must admit, Barbie introduced me to Vivienne Westwood herself, too! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JStoll93 said:

It’s with great sadness today, that I learned of the passing of one of the great designers of the 20th century, Vivienne Westwood. I’ve loved her work since I first saw it exhibited in San Francisco at the De Young Museum over 15 years ago. 

During her life she made a couple notable Barbie collaborations. The first being in 1998, designing the very limited Life Ball Barbie Doll. 

Could contain: Book, Publication, Person, Bride, Woman, Adult, Female, Wedding

Could contain: Dress, Person, Woman, Adult, Female, Formal Wear, Baby, Long Sleeve, Fashion, Coat

Could contain: Book, Publication, Person, Bride, Woman, Adult, Female, Face, Advertisement, Poster

I'm sorry to hear that.  Thanks for letting us know.  Sad.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, mell said:

I don't know if this makes sense to you at all, JStoll93, but when I first learned of Guo Pei's fashions through Barbie, she kind of reminded me of a Chinese styled Vivienne Westwood (both designers' fashions tend to be quite over the top and theatrical)! Well, I must admit, Barbie introduced me to Vivienne Westwood herself, too! 

It does make sense to me! Besides their shared gender, both were and are the most accomplished designers of their respected countries, reference their nations cultures in their designs, have produced one of a kind clothes, were the subjects of many museum exhibitions, and certainly have a special flare for theatrics.

Unlike Guo Pei, Vivienne never showed her couture collections during the twice annual Haute Couture Show seasons in Paris. This disqualified her work from being considered Haute Couture. Designers must be in compliance with the federation of Haute Couture, which has strict regulations regarding the production and presentation of high end bespoke clothing. Instead, Vivienne showed couture collections in her own way and schedule. Guo, has never produced a ready-to-wear label, or any other diffusion tiers outside of couture clothing, besides collaborations with MAC cosmetics and Barbie.

The Westwood brand has cult following ready-to-wear collections, accessories, shoes, and jewelry most notable with the iconic orb insignia that was her trademark brand image. 

Could contain: Gray

Edited by JStoll93
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2