City Smart Barbie

Guest couture_studio

Guest BC AmyB

All,

We understand the frustrations over the limited availability of this doll. But they were made for the special Asia Promotion and we were lucky enough to get the 200 to offer here.

I realize that it will not be enough for all the collectors and going forward we can work to change the quantity, but this sale was set a long time ago and I can not get anymore then what has already been promised to us.

I am sorry

Amy

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest schandar

Thank you Amy...I know it was as hard for you writing this and it is for me reading it Frown

This is not fair. I understand the reasoning and Marketing of Limited (Limited) Editions but, what's more important, Mattel making their collectors happy or Mattel making (unrealistic) Limited Editions....

We don't want to see 35,000 dolls produced but we are really getting tired of these Chantaine/City Smart/ quantities, not to mention the prices going high up...we are DEDICATED TO MATTEL - Mattel really, I mean really have to stop this, It isn't funny and very stressful. This shows how dedicated we are to buying what Mattel produces in the Silkstone line.

Amy~ the customers make the popularity of the dolls - from what I've been feeling and reading, Mattel is treading on some really soft ground. This is the first time since obtaining all my Silks that I say to Heck with it! We've offered so many suggestions here, so many............

Superflawless said it when he said that the Limited Editions remain at the sugg. price but when Mattel pulls out the Chantaine/City Smart type quantities, it will go up and we can't keep affording to buy these type and continue to buy your yearly line as well...One will defeat the other.

Mystique021

Guest couture_studio

I posted this question earlier today in the Ask BC category:

quote:
Surely there must be a list of Dealers/Department stores/toy stores that you could make known. Please let us know, this subject is causing all kinds of emotional reaction from collectors, and most of it is negative.

Amy

and got this reply from AmyB:

quote:
BC AmyB

Administrator

posted Sun July 06 2003 08:10 PM

I will try to get this on Monday.

Amy

Maybe there's another solution to this...

Amy

Guest DianeR.

quote:
Originally posted by BC AmyB:

All,

We understand the frustrations over the limited availability of this doll. But they were made for the special Asia Promotion and we were lucky enough to get the 200 to offer here.

I realize that it will not be enough for all the collectors and going forward we can work to change the quantity, but this sale was set a long time ago and I can not get anymore then what has already been promised to us.

I am sorry

Amy

Fine, but what about letting the first 100 people buy 2 each? Why not limit it to 1 to each person and let at least 200 Barbie collectors be happy? I understand that you can't magically make more than 200 dolls appear if that is all you have. But you CAN do something about that 2 per person limit. That is something that you DO have the power to change. I hope Mattel will realize that allowing people who only want the extra doll to put on ebay for big bucks is not fair to their LOYAL collectors. I know that I'm not going to be one of the lucky ones who get this doll. I have all but accepted that. I just don't have that kind of luck. LOL. I thought that by pre-ordering her (and I only pre-ordered ONE) a while ago with an Asian dealer I had taken care of everything I needed to do to get her. I realize now that I was foolish to think that. So if you change the "rules" so that each person can only order one on July 24, I would like to see 200 other collectors be happy and be able to get her for retail price.

Guest rls257

thats foolish, I bet you any amount of money Amy that if you set up a page on Barbie Collectables Website that took preorders for this doll, you would have thousands of orders. Instead of 59.00 charge 75.00, everyone here would pay it, the factories that made this products certainly must have all the patterns in tact, and how hard is it to get the same templates and paints to do the face?

your a major manufacturer! I doubt it would be terribly hard to do this. it might not be a run of 35,000 but 5,000 is a healthy #, and besides, if it was PREORDER, you would have the cash in hand to produce this product.

lets see you give us what we really have been asking for. I certainly would pay for it.

R leigh Slaughter

Guest schandar

quote:

Describes the mood or content of the topic posted Sun July 06 2003 07:46 PM Sun July 06 2003 07:46 PM

~AMYB~

City Smart Monopoly

"I just came off ebay under (City Smart, what else) and I found that the address of the listed City Smarts ARE ALL THE SAME...???"

We haven't heard anything about this issue nor, the 45th. update....

At least tell us you're looking into our concerns and will sent out a memo prior to July 24th. and the release of the 45th.????

Mystique021

quote:

MessageReport This Post

BC AmyB

Administrator

Describes the mood or content of the topic posted Sun July 06 2003 08:05 PM Sun July 06 2003 08:05 PM

Hi Mystique,

Here is the post I made in the other section. I will be talking to the brand tomorrow, as I do think that it should be "1" per member, not "2'. The vendor on ebay is from Asia, and since that is where the promotion was, the for sale makes sense.

Amy

Well, we'll just have to wait and see the outcome...

Mystique021

Guest pumpkin

I am really frustrated with this whole City Smart situation. Why is Mattel doing this? To make the silkstone line more collectable? All the above points are valid. The doll will go up to $1000 on ebay and the collector will miss out on the doll. If Mattel truly wants to provide great CUSTOMER SERVICE to their most loyal customers (as they should in this sluggish economy), they will find a way to get more of these dolls over to the USA from Asia. Mattel, you are a big company with thousands of employees, There must be someone who works there that can do this for your customers.

Guest wonderboy100

Pumpkin and R Leigh said it best - this is ridiculous. Mattel could have done it differently if they wanted to. They must have been given one fat sum of money from the Asian distributor to make such an exclusive doll otherwise they certainly would have cashed in on the sale of the doll in the U.S. as well.

All I can say is that I hope they lower the limit to 1 doll per person so that many more of us have the chance.

lets hope that in the future "limited editions" are enough to go around for at least a few days after its sale date that way all of the legitimate collectors will have a chance.

this whole fiasco is BAD PUBLICITY and I hope that gets passed on to the folks at Mattel.

Well there goes my chance of ever getting City Smart!!! Just checked Ebay and she's already going for over $355!!!! Once again Mattel you are showing total disregard for overseas customers!! I'm sorry but this is really getting to me. I spend thousands of my hard earned money every year on your product (not including a HUGE amount on shipping, handling, import tax, then more handling charges by the post office!!!) I own over 2000 Barbie dolls but still that seems to count for nothing!!! All I can say to Far East and American collectors is good luck at least I know some collectors are in with a chance!!!

Guest adrial

Yeah good luck for those 200 who will get the doll.

I dont have any hope of getting her, the only way will be through ebay (since the BC does not sell overseas). And on ebay it´s going to reach crazy prices. Sincerely I will pay 400$ on Orange Pekoe, first because the student job is still unpaid and second because it´s worth it, no way Im going to spend 400$ on a simple silkie, with a simple dress.

With 400$ I can buy the first 6 ligeries togheter! lol.

Your know. Im seriously thinking on dying a SB suit and buying a blonde silkie, reestyle her hair a little and voila!. A City Smart "a la Adrial". lol. Im not kidding. Wink

Oh, well. It´s not the end of the world I guess. And being a collector overseas I think we are used to this kind of strange marketing things. To recive the dolls nobody wants to. Mattel does not even have an official collectors club here, so we had to open one with our money...etc...etc...

"The greatest thing you´ll ever know, it´s just to love and be loved in return"

Archived