Freak in the Streets: RLC Exclusive '71 AMC Javelin AMX

By Mattel Creations Staff 

The 1971 Javelin has been a Hot Wheels favorite for decades. Now, we’re giving it the true ‘70s street-freak treatment for our newest RLC exclusive.  

“Hot Wheels first made a custom AMC AMX back in 1969, and offered several models of AMC vehicles since,“ says designer Brendon Vetuskey. This time, we embraced the decade and got freaky with the design – street freaky, that is.  

“These were vehicles that may have been retired gasser-style drag race cars or were built up to look the part,” Brendon explains. “As the years went on, the styling became more extreme, and the cars were jacked up really high to outdo each other to make the craziest, wildest rides around.” 

Our RLC exclusive Javelin has root beer Spectraflame paint entwined with ‘70s-style greens and yellows throughout. But we didn’t stop there; our designers gave it an exposed engine and multi-piece leaf spring molded suspension and ladder bar details for a rounded-out, funked-out look and feel. 

“This model is special because we separated the axles from the chassis using detailed suspension components, which not only gives it a more authentic look but breaks up the large mass of ZAMAC that’s typically seen on any raised-up 1:64 die-cast vehicle,” Brendon adds. “The detailed suspension with leaf springs and ladder bars give this car the next level of quality and detail that you’ve come to expect from the Hot Wheels RLC.”  

Get your groove on with the RLC Exclusive '71 AMC Javelin AMX on February 6 at 9am PT, only at MattelCreations.com.  

Could contain: Car, Transportation, Vehicle, Machine, Spoke, Wheel, Alloy Wheel, Suv, Coupe, CollageCould contain: Machine, Spoke, Wheel, Car, Vehicle, Alloy Wheel, Car Wheel, Tire, Coupe, Buggy

SPECS 

• Features: Multi-part painted and chromed suspension 
  • Body Color: Spectraflame root beer 
  • Graphics: Era-correct “Grandma’s Kitchen” motif, ‘70s-style panels  
  • Body Type: ZAMAC  
  • Wheels: Real Riders 5-hole mags  
  • Base: Full-metal, matte black painted chassis 
  • Window Color: Light smoke-tinted  
  • Interior Color: Tan with brown painted details  
  • Scale 1:64  

PACKAGING 

• Packaged on an illustrated blister card, packed in a Kar Keepers clamshell case 

AVAILABILITY 

• RLC members only: February 6 at 9am PT until sold out 

PRICING AND PURCHASE LIMITS 

• Priced at $25.00 plus shipping and processing each; extra charges may apply for express shipping or special handling (customers shipping to Canada may be required to pay additional shipping charges or taxes) 
  • We offer international shipping – please see shipping costs and details here (international shipping availability subject to change) 
  • Limit of TWO (2) per club membership; limit TEN (10) per household (purchase limits subject to change at our sole discretion) 
  • Refunds only, no exchanges 

Items and dates subject to change. Production items may vary from the photos shown. Mattel reserves the right to modify the color, decorations, scale, body, and wheel type. Product subject to availability. Items placed in your shopping cart are not guaranteed to be available for purchase until you have completed checkout and received an order number via confirmation page or email.
Chrysler and related logos, vehicle model names and trade dress are trademarks of FCA US LLC and used under license by Mattel, Inc. © 2024 FCA US LLC. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Related News

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

😛😛😛😛😛👍🥴❤️💋🤖🤖🤖🤖😸🫣🫠❤️🌈👩‍👩‍👦‍👦👍💋👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨👻🫶👽👾👽👾🤖.

Edited by VERA LYNN
  • Like 2

On 2/9/2024 at 5:03 PM, Samispeed said:

Nice! When will the next rlc be released and do we get emailed about it prior? 

Check the Calendar at the start of each month.  Mattel will usually have it up with the first few days.  And yes they will send emails with a countdown timer the Friday before the sales occur.  So keep an eye out! 

On 2/11/2024 at 4:38 PM, jj1368 said:

Can't believe this isn't sold out, an it's numbered

I think the current membership is just of a different generation (myself included).  I've seen some guys say they remember cars like this back in their day (this was before my time haha).  It definitely gives me a classic "Hotwheels" vibe, but like others, this just aint my cuppa tea haha.  Too "wild" for me.  But I do like the other gasser castings Mattel has done in the past; 66 Super Nova, 55 Bel Air Gasser, the 65 Cyclone, i mean there are a TON, this one is just a hard pass for me lol.  But happy hunting to all who want it! 

For me, to say it in a nutshell: Nice! When does the recolor come?😅

I dig these kind of cars but the first time i saw the color combo in the proto state i hoped they would give it a theme on top of it, like gassers usually have. Because for me, brown and green is a difficult color combo i personally would only get behind if it had a them to go with it to understand why that kind of combination was chosen. Smt like, Poisen Raker, The Leaper, Psychedelic Browny. 

The same deal with the Nova one. I was a bit disapointed when i saw that there was nothing going on on the car but i really liked the color combo. 

P.s.: I personally dont count the license plate really as giving the car a theme. It's a small neat bonus. 

Back in the day (late 70s ish) I had a trunk in my basement that was full of toys (hand me downs and rejected toys). I invited all my neighborhood friends (kids) take one toy and leave one (at my discretion) I always kept the hot wheels. I also had a pseudo dj booth with a kids turntable and old soul 45s... So, the moral of the story is trade up and play good. I am new at this and not new to the vibe. Laugh it up and I hope I am welcomed to this community. Always live good!

On 2/5/2024 at 11:22 AM, 222HOTGP said:

Nice!! Take my money!

Consider doing the Rapid Transit System MOPARS from the 70's. the new RLC AMC Javelin AMX reminds me of the 3 MOPARS1970_Plymouth_Duster_Rapid_Transit_side.1971_Plymouth_Road_Runner_Rapid_Transit_1970_Plymouth_Road_Runner_Rapid_Transit_

On 2/5/2024 at 11:01 AM, VERA LYNN said:

On 2/5/2024 at 11:01 AM, VERA LYNN said:

I ordered and payed for 2 of these and then all of a sudden there is this "can not ship international" issue thing happened, I try to go to my order page and it says "page not found" I also bought the Mattel Royal carriage for the wife it as well is under this "no international shipping" issue again page not found. I sent an email to Mattel and all I got was "we are sorry" and "it will be worth the wait". At this point I have no idea if i will be getting my orders and if I do when I will get them. Very frustrating situation to not have a clue, I get that "issues" arrise, but there should be better communication as to what the issue is and when and if a resolution will be found!!

I got one it was damaged so I returned it for an exchange. It had a divot in the metal. In the meantime I ordered another one in case it sold out before I got my replacement. The second one was also damaged so I returned it for a refund. Then I got my replacement car and it too had damage. Part of stripe missing and a hair in paint. Very disappointing. I think I'm done ordering cars from Mattel. 

Could contain: Machine, Wheel, Car, Transportation, Vehicle

Could contain: Machine, Spoke, Wheel, Alloy Wheel, Car, Car Wheel, Tire, Transportation, Vehicle

Could contain: Car, Transportation, Vehicle, Car - Exterior

Could contain: Electronics, Hardware, Computer Hardware, Car, Transportation, Vehicle, Printed Circuit Board

Could contain: Machine, Wheel, Alloy Wheel, Car, Car Wheel, Spoke, Tire, Transportation, Vehicle

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 4:04 AM, thump said:

I ordered and payed for 2 of these and then all of a sudden there is this "can not ship international" issue thing happened, I try to go to my order page and it says "page not found" I also bought the Mattel Royal carriage for the wife it as well is under this "no international shipping" issue again page not found. I sent an email to Mattel and all I got was "we are sorry" and "it will be worth the wait". At this point I have no idea if i will be getting my orders and if I do when I will get them. Very frustrating situation to not have a clue, I get that "issues" arrise, but there should be better communication as to what the issue is and when and if a resolution will be found!!

Try to call them