Ready to celebrate Mother’s Day? Find the perfect picks for every fan’s collection. Shop Now

Getting Nifty With It: Hot Wheels NFT Garage Series II

By Allen Voivod

Last year, Mattel Creations took your favorite die-cast cars to a new frontier with the launch of the Hot Wheels NFT Garage. You made it a roaring success, and soon we'll be expanding our "ultimate peg wall" with the launch of Series II. This time, Chevrolet, Honda, and more are getting in on the action! 

There will be 28 car models and 43 decos in Series II, and two of those will be "Promo Car" NFTs (more about those below). You'll find the same four rarities in the packs as with Series I: Base, Rare, Premium, and NFTH (NFT Treasure Hunt). The cars you find in a given pack may be from any of these rarities, though some NFTs are harder to find than others. And the Premium and NFTH vIRLs are back, too! Those are the "virtual + In Real Life" NFTs where you'll get a token you can redeem for an exclusive die-cast version of the car pictured on the NFT. 

In total, you'll have about a 1:27 chance to pull a vIRL car from a pack to get one of the real-life, special edition Hot Wheels die-cast cars: 

• Premium (3.26%): Aristo Rat, Chevrolet Corvette C8.R, Custom Otto, Honda S2000 
  • NFTH (0.54%): '55 Chevy Bel Air Gasser 

So, what's new this time around? The cars, decos, and mini collections are all new, as are the packs. This time, each pack contains 7 cars ($25 each), with a limit of four (4) packs per person. We're also introducing a new rarity: Show Room! This is the pinnacle rarity format of the Series, limited to only 250 splits.  

Also, to ensure as many loyal Hot Wheels fans as possible have the opportunity to purchase these NFT packs, we're implementing an added security measure for this launch. There will now be a verification process for each order, and you'll receive a "Series II Pack Purchase" token in your wallet to show that the process has begun. The verification may take up to three (3) business days to complete, after which you'll be able to see your purchased NFTs in your wallet.

We know that may be inconvenient, but Hot Wheels fans like you are our number one priority, and we want you to have the fairest shot at getting these NFTs. Thanks so much, as always, for your patience and understanding – and for your love of the fastest cars in the world, the real and the digital!

To celebrate the Series II launch, we're also giving away free special edition Promo Car NFTs. You'll have a few opportunities to get yours: 

• 3/28/22: AMA on @Hot_Wheels Twitter Spaces  
  • 3/30/22: AMA on Wax Discord  

You can find more details about owning and managing a Hot Wheels NFT Garage collection below. But first, check out a sample of what Series II has to offer 

HWC_Article_ImageSet_NFTGarageS2_v2.thumb.jpg.6f360ec072d80f566383600500bc97ad.jpg

Frequently Asked Questions

What's an NFT?
NFT stands for "non-fungible token." "Non-fungible" means unique – there's nothing else like it out there. All Series II Hot Wheels NFT Garage cards that show the same car are individually numbered, so each one has its own unique value. "Token" refers to the fact that it's a digital asset instead of a physical one, with built-in authentication that serves as proof of ownership. 

Is an NFT the same thing as cryptocurrency?
NFTs and cryptocurrency are generally built using the same type of programming, known as the blockchain, but they aren't the same. Each NFT has a digital signature that makes it unique (non-fungible), like owning a piece of art. Cryptocurrencies are "fungible," meaning that each one is worth the same as any other. For example, one Bitcoin is worth one Bitcoin, just like a $1 bill is worth the same as any other $1 bill.

What Are Hot Wheels NFTs?
They're the latest way to own valuable and rare digital artwork from Hot Wheels, featuring some of our wildest and most outrageous car designs in a whole new format! These NFTs are pure Hot Wheels, developed by the same team behind iconic Hot Wheels die-casts. Whether it's a physical car or a digital one, they know that cutting-edge designs and deco are the key to Hot Wheels' appeal, no matter how they're made. A purchase from the Hot Wheels NFT Garage is a one-of-a-kind collectible – it's special and rare, even as a digital file.

Where do I get Hot Wheels NFTs?
You can get them on WAX (Worldwide Asset eXchange™), the most used and transacted blockchain ecosystem in the world for NFTs. It provides the safest and most convenient way to create, buy, sell, and trade both virtual and physical items, with anyone and anywhere in the world.

What are the steps to buy a Hot Wheels NFT Pack?

In general: 

• Sign up for a free WAX Cloud Wallet account. (Need help? Check out the WAX setup tutorial on YouTube.) 
  • Once your WAX account is set up, just go to the link we provide for the drop page.  
  • You'll use the credit card linked to your WAX account for your drop purchase – no cryptocurrency is required for any initial drop purchases. 
  • Manage your NFT purchases directly within your WAX account. 

For the Hot Wheels NFT Garage Series II drop:

• Go to http://www.hotwheelsnftg.io/shop starting March 31, 2022 at 10:00am PT for your opportunity to purchase up to four (4) Series II NFT packs.
  • Immediately after your purchase, the payment verification process will begin.
  • You will receive a "Series II Pack Purchase" token in your wallet to show that the verification process has begun.
  • Please allow up to three (3) business days to verify and process your NFT pack purchase(s).
  • After the verification process has finished you can view your purchased NFTs in your wallet.

What are the different rarities of the Hot Wheels NFT Garage Series II NFTs?
Here's a breakdown of the five rarity types, and how they total up to the 184,250 NFT cards in Series II. The Premium and NFTH rarities are vIRLs (virtual + In Real Life), which means they also come with a token to redeem for a physical die-cast version of the car depicted on the NFT card. (Note: This does not include the two "promo" NFTs being given away during social media events, as they're not available for purchase in packs.) 

HWC_Article_ImageSet2_NFTGarage.jpg.db9fc00b2fdbb6ffbd555d77f69a791b.jpg

What's are "cars," "splits," and "counts"?
For Hot Wheels NFTs, "cars" refer to the make and model of a car appearing on an NFT. "Count" refers to the number of cars with a specific deco shown on an NFT. As an example, if you have five "cars" but a "count" of six within a rarity tier, that's because one of the cars also comes in an alternate deco within that rarity tier. "Splits" tell you how many NFTs exist for each car/deco combination.

One of my NFTs is a vIRL card! How do I get the physical die-cast version of the car?
Congratulations! Because selling and trading play a frequent part in the NFT experience, the person who owns a Premium or NFTH vIRL as of 12:00pm PT July 31, 2022 will receive a Redemption Coin in their WAX wallet. It must be redeemed within 30 days for the physical limited-edition die-cast collectible.* Please allow up to 12 weeks from the date of redemption for your car to be shipped with your chosen shipping method.

How will I track and manage my collection?
Use any NFT collecting app on the iOS App Store and Google Play for Android. These apps can be linked to your WAX account, so you can track and manage your collection within the app.

How do Hot Wheels NFTs affect the environment?
Hot Wheels is partnering with WAX, the only carbon neutral NFT blockchain on the market. One WAX transaction just uses roughly about as much energy as the simple act of turning a lightbulb on or off.

Items and dates subject to change. Production items may vary from the images shown. Mattel reserves the right to modify the color, decorations, scale, body, and wheel type. Product subject to availability.

* The Redemption Coin will be deposited into the WAX wallet of the current owner of the Hot Wheels NFT car (which may or may not be the original buyer) as of 12:00pm PT on July 31, 2022. Only one (1) Redemption Coin will be issued per redeemable Hot Wheels NFT car. Once a Redemption Coin is deposited into your WAX wallet, you will have 30 days to redeem it for your physical car. Redeeming a Redemption Coin "burns" the coin and it will no longer be in your wallet.

Shipping is not included – learn more about our shipping options. International restrictions may apply – learn more about our international shipping policies

General Motors Trademarks used under license to Mattel, Inc. 

Honda Official Licensed Product. Designed, manufactured, and distributed by Mattel, Inc. Honda®, the “H” logo®, Honda vehicles and their trade dress, and all associated vehicle emblems, logos, marks, and names are trademarks and intellectual property of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. All rights reserved.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

Related News

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hot wheels please no NFTs: Digital arts is a sham and a money making scheme. Such is the way the video games are going, and those producing it are receiving bad publicity. Please stick with making real art like your RLCs and your premiums and your main lines, those are the true works of art that one and can hold and touch and store on their shelf for showing off.  Thank you.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

I can’t believe they’re doubling down on this NFT stuff, while the iD series gets put out to pasture. $25 bucks to play a digital lottery for glorified jpegs and maybe an actual car?? Nope. And I thought online raffles from resellers were bad enough… 🤦‍♂️

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

I'm sorry, I  felt like I went 15 rounds after reading about Mattel's NFT Garage Series ll. There's more wording in that come-on than the monthly prospectus from Merril, Lynch, Pierce, Fenner,  and Ziggy. Wow.  Umm, when does it start? 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/25/2022 at 4:49 PM, jfurn7 said:

Hot wheels please no NFTs: Digital arts is a sham and a money making scheme. Such is the way the video games are going, and those producing it are receiving bad publicity. Please stick with making real art like your RLCs and your premiums and your main lines, those are the true works of art that one and can hold and touch and store on their shelf for showing off.  Thank you.

Well said 👍 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

On 3/25/2022 at 3:55 PM, OnikaZedaMeeks said:

This is the reason I set up a WAX account!

"Nope"!!!! Not for me, you pay with real money to purchase digital currency to buy a digital Hot Wheel. Is Mattel going to make a digital race track so you can race your digital Hot Wheels against other RLC Member's ? It's starting to look like in the making of Hot Wheel's "TRON".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Seriously all of you are asleep at the wheel .

Global release of 460 for a physical treasure hunt and 4 others below 1k mintage is going to be gold from series 1 . 

The NFT guys aren't even redeeming them to physical that will make them much scarcer once they hit the market 🙂

I told you . 

• Like 1

Creating the Wax wallet is not free, you have to add 5 WAXP to activate the account. Why would I pay to activate an account I'm not doing anything with yet? I created the account, I did not proceed with the activation. I lost any interest I had in the NFT cars.

This article has to be amended with the right information.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Not more of this crud.😒 Why on earth is Mattel doubling down on this garbage? NFTs are a pitiful joke and an abhorrent money pit. PLZ PLZ PLZZZZZ Mattel stay away from this digital junk and stick with the REAL works of art that you're already so good at making!🙏🙏

• Like 5

9 hours ago, eritter said:

Creating the Wax wallet is not free, you have to add 5 WAXP to activate the account. Why would I pay to activate an account I'm not doing anything with yet? I created the account, I did not proceed with the activation. I lost any interest I had in the NFT cars.

This article has to be amended with the right information.

That's weird. I set up a Wax Wallet last year didn't say anything about adding 5 WAXP to activate account. Must be New for this year. I set up an account that I probably will never use anyways. "GOODTIMES"👍

5 hours ago, Samwise Carcollecter said:

Not more of this crud.😒 Why on earth is Mattel doubling down on this garbage? NFTs are a pitiful joke and an abhorrent money pit. PLZ PLZ PLZZZZZ Mattel stay away from this digital junk and stick with the REAL works of art that you're already so good at making!🙏🙏

Sign of Times. Going into the "TRONS" Era.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rockies76 said:

That's weird. I set up a Wax Wallet last year didn't say anything about adding 5 WAXP to activate account. Must be New for this year. I set up an account that I probably will never use anyways. "GOODTIMES"👍

I searched some forums, and yes, It's recent. Very poor choice of blockchain. I was interested, not anymore.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, eritter said:

I searched some forums, and yes, It's recent. Very poor choice of blockchain. I was interested, not anymore.

I hear you. I'm from the Old S'cool. You got to buy Mass Packs & hope for the Best to get the Real Hot Wheel. It's like hunting for the Super Treasure Hunts but this time it's the Digital Hot Wheels World basically the "TRON" World. Sign of Times. It's the New Beginning of the Future of Space Hot Wheel's. Probably down the road. We'll get a Special Pin. Point the Pin at the ground & a Lazer shoots out & you just made a 3D Hologram Hot Wheel. Each Special Pin has its own Color & Casting. Space Hot Wheel's.

"GOODTIMES"👍🤙

• Like 1

I will stick to real things.....just me but NFT just feel dirty to me.

After reading that article only to find out you pay real money for nothing... its like buying an invisible wonder women jet in a blister card that has nothing in it. Guess since that went over like a charm why not try and make money doing NFT's.

🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Please - no slam to the younger crowd but putting money into something

that can go "POOF" with one "DIGITAL GREMILN" is nut's - throw you're

money at a charity that need's it

• Like 5

On 3/26/2022 at 1:30 PM, Eddiemonster510 said:

I know you make me feel old and Im only 37. The process to get an NFT and just throw money like that. Some one at mattel lease dont be so deaf to your actual collectors. Trust us. You dont want the NFT crowd for Hot Wheels. 

I Agree there is some serious Greed going on with this. I'm not tossing More money, Unless it is an Actual Car. Not A Card or some BS i need to create a special File to Download a bunch of stuff on My computer and sign up For this New MAX payment System and hope I get a Actual Car that Matches the Downloaded Piture. No Way not Simple to much extra Stuff us as collectors have to mess with. Keep it Simple Hot Wheels. 

• Like 4

I don't know anything about crypto or NFTs and I dont fully understand it.  All I know is if I pay money I want a car in hand not some digital thing I can only look at on a computer screen.  Although I'm running out of room for all my physical collection, lol.