Modified Monster: RLC Exclusive '68 Custom Plymouth Barracuda

By Mattel Creations Staff

The Plymouth Barracuda was one of the original pony cars – smaller sportier cars that were often customized to get even more out of them. From the engine to the body, car enthusiasts would find different ways to make it faster, more powerful, and definitely more unique. 

That’s the spirit behind the new RLC Exclusive '68 Custom Plymouth Barracuda. We took the Hot Wheels classic and added some extra custom mods that make this a true collector’s edition.  

“In the past, we’ve done reasonably stock versions of the Hemi fastback and the notchback Barracudas,” says casting designer Philip Riehlman. “We haven’t done a radically modified version since the early versions featured in the original Hot Wheels Sweet 16.” 

Originally, this car premiered as the dinner car at the 2023 Hot Wheels Collector’s Convention in LA to celebrate Philip’s 30-year anniversary with Hot Wheels. Naturally, we gave him carte blanche to design this RLC exclusive.  

“The car has been modified with coilover suspension and custom AAR style exhaust,” says Philip. “In the engine bay, a 1000 HP [HEMI] Hellephant motor is squeezed in snuggly connected to a 6-speed manual transmission. Custom bodywork includes flared fenders, front splitter and spoiler, auxiliary driving lights, hood intakes, and a rear spoiler. The interior is fitted with racing seats, roll bar, and rear seat delete.” 

Why all this detail? Philip explains, “This is how my ‘68 Barracuda might be modified if money was no object.”  

Could contain: Car, Coupe, Sports Car, Vehicle, Spoke, Alloy Wheel, Car Wheel, Tire, Wheel, MustangCould contain: Car, Coupe, Sports Car, Mustang, Spoke, Advertisement, Alloy Wheel, Tire, Wheel, Sedan

PACKAGING 

• Packaged on an illustrated blister card, packed in a Kar Keepers clamshell case 

AVAILABILITY 

• RLC members only: April 23, 2024 at 9am PT until sold out 

PRICING AND PURCHASE LIMITS 

• Priced at $27.00 plus shipping and processing each; extra charges may apply for express shipping or special handling (customers shipping to Canada may be required to pay additional shipping charges or taxes)  
  • We offer international shipping – please see shipping costs and details here (international shipping availability subject to change)  
  • Limit of TWO (2) per club membership; limit TEN (10) per household (purchase limits subject to change at our sole discretion)  
  • Refunds only, no exchanges 

Items and dates subject to change. Production items may vary from the photos shown. Mattel reserves the right to modify the color, decorations, scale, body, and wheel type. Product subject to availability. Items placed in your shopping cart are not guaranteed to be available for purchase until you have completed checkout and received an order number via confirmation page or email.  

Chrysler, Plymouth and related logos, vehicle model names and trade dress are trademarks of FCA US LLC and used under license by Mattel, Inc. © 2024 FCA US LLC. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Related News

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

1 hour ago, MustangPro1 said:

Me 2 lol...but remember 2 is "Greedy"...good luck everyone happy Friday

It's only greedy when they post the limit as 1 per account prior to the sale. But the "greedy" comments you are referring to were mainly directed at the ones posting screenshots of 10-30. THAT IS greedy... and it's a shame that Mattel allowed that to happen when the pinks are always in high demand and sell out quickly. These have always been 1 per account and were supposed to be this time, as it was shown on the sale page prior to the sale. I got 2, but used my son's account for the second one as they usually cancel the order, or anything over the purchase limit (which again... was listed as 1 prior to the start). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Volcanic_xB said:

It's only greedy when they post the limit as 1 per account prior to the sale. But the "greedy" comments you are referring to were mainly directed at the ones posting screenshots of 10-30. THAT IS greedy... and it's a shame that Mattel allowed that to happen when the pinks are always in high demand and sell out quickly. These have always been 1 per account and were supposed to be this time, as it was shown on the sale page prior to the sale. I got 2, but used my son's account for the second one as they usually cancel the order, or anything over the purchase limit (which again... was listed as 1 prior to the start). 

Too late to edit, but the last few were 2 per, but that info was conveyed ahead of time. This time it said 1, which would seem right given that this casting was more desirable than the Fleetwood or F100.

• Like 1

The 'Cuda should have been a numbered car. I mean......to number the Mercedes AMG and not the classic Muscle car,...... the 'Cuda! Not right.