RLC Exclusive 1971 De Tomaso Mangusta: The Cobra Killer

By Mattel Creations Staff

The 1971 De Tomaso Mangusta was the Italian rebuttal to the Shelby Cobra. Named after the cobra-killing Mongoose, this car was one of the very few European cars built with an American engine. Its number one goal? To take out the cross-continental threat the Cobra unleashed on the racing world.

After a failed partnership with Cobra creator Carroll Shelby, Automotive legend Giorgetto Giugiaro went back to Italy to design the Mangusta. He gave his new racer a rear engine featuring gullwing-style engine doors, a short deck, chrome-trimmed taillights, and four large exhaust outlets to give Shelby a run for his money.

For this edition of the famous De Tomaso Mangusta, our Hot Wheels designers chose light green Spectraflame paint with gold and silver Real Riders wheels for added flash.

“Since the first release was straight stock, we decided to go full race with this one, paying homage to the great ‘60s & ‘70s Can-Am cars,” said Hot Wheels Designer Steve Vandervate. “We even added retro-perfect race livery with authentic sponsor logos.”

Now, members of the RLC can get this special version of a legendary car for their collection. 

Could contain: Machine, Spoke, Alloy Wheel, Car, Car Wheel, Tire, Vehicle, Wheel, Coupe, Sports CarCould contain: Machine, Wheel, Car, Vehicle, Alloy Wheel, Car Wheel, Spoke, Tire, Box, Sports Car

PACKAGING

• Packaged in an acrylic case with a decorative outer box

AVAILABILITY

•  RLC members only: June 20, 2023 at 9:00 AM PT until sold out

PRICING AND PURCHASE LIMITS

• Priced at $30.00 plus shipping and processing each; extra charges may apply for express shipping or special handling (customers shipping to Canada may be required to pay additional shipping charges or taxes)
  • We offer international shipping – please see shipping costs and details here (international shipping availability subject to change)
  • No purchase limits
  • Refunds only, no exchanges

Items and dates subject to change. Production items may vary from the photos shown. Mattel reserves the right to modify the color, decorations, scale, body, and wheel type. Product subject to availability. Items placed in your shopping cart are not guaranteed to be available for purchase until you have completed checkout and received an order number via confirmation page or email. 

Produced under license from De Tomaso Automobili Limited

All Trademarks not owned by Mattel are the property of their respective owners and are used with permission.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Related News

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Still have to wait 3 days. There us 1 per Customer and you can already preorder lots of them on eBay. How comes if it is RLC exklusive and you can not be sure to get one. I am overthinking the annual membership costs right now. Maybe there is a Trick or an app to get one?

Could contain: File, Webpage, Page, Text, Car, Transportation, Vehicle

On 6/10/2023 at 7:53 AM, Giovanne2004 said:

Still have to wait 3 days. There us 1 per Customer and you can already preorder lots of them on eBay. How comes if it is RLC exklusive and you can not be sure to get one. I am overthinking the annual membership costs right now. Maybe there is a Trick or an app to get one?

Could contain: File, Webpage, Page, Text, Car, Transportation, Vehicle

You have been here almost two years and you haven't figured it out yet??? These resellers have multiple accounts. They see them before hand even if they are not sure they get them. This car is well over 30k. It should be easy to get. RLC are not rare anymore and if you DO miss it...the resellers prices come down after a few months close to what you can get here. 

14 hours ago, jediboss said:

I I think I’ll pass total classic but I’m not a big fan maybe the orange one I would’ve done but I don’t really like this one.

agreed... not a fan of the racing decals on this one.. a plain green like the orange one may have done it, but think i'll pass on this one.  But good luck to all who want in! 

It’s 4AM here in New Zealand and managed to get mine, but only after a fight…

For some reason they decided not to ship international to New Zealand for this one.  All previous ones have worked.

Had to ship to my brothers in the UK and then have to ship here after that.  Already sent a comment on the ordering process not including New Zealand, hope they fix it for the next one…

On 6/13/2023 at 2:54 PM, Warofthetom said:

Doesn't seem to be nearly as popular as I would've thought. Wonder how long until they increase the limit per person

Got it in the mail today and still available in the shop