Ready to celebrate Mother’s Day? Find the perfect picks for every fan’s collection. Shop Now

An Open Door to Elegance: ’62 Mercedes-Benz 220 SE Coupe

By Gary Barnum

First released by Matchbox in 1963, the ’62 Mercedes-Benz 220 SE Coupe has a very dignified claim to fame. It was the first vehicle by the brand to feature opening doors! Open up a place in your collection when our latest edition becomes available on August 19, 2021. It’ll be the second release in our brand-new Matchbox Collectors series – featuring the most detailed diecast Matchbox cars you’ve ever seen, with superior collector packaging!

Considered among the highest level of luxury and performance models produced by Mercedes-Benz, the ’62 Mercedes-Benz 220 SE Coupe was particularly visually notable for its delicate tailfins – aimed at the American market. Aesthetics aside, Mercedes-Benz produced a vehicle that not only continued their mark of elegance but delivered good performance and acceleration as well.

The Matchbox piece saw duty from 1963 – 1967, then wasn’t seen again until a special 67 (last) then special edition in 2019. Now it makes its first appearance since 2019 in this optimal presentation. A shiny silver finish with a matte black roof shout out the subtle class of this amazing vehicle. It of course features the opening doors, plus True Grip GT wheels. It’s housed to show in an acrylic case with an authentic environment backdrop – the Mercedes-Benz Museum in Stuttgart, Germany! You’ll want to display it at your location as well.

HWC_Article_ImageSet_GRJ35_62Mercedes220SE.jpg.a570f7cf8ba301546634038a12cf215d.jpg

Specs:

• Features: Opening doors
  • Body Color: Silver
  • Deco: Matte black roof
  • Body Type: Metal
  • Wheels: True Grip GT wheels
  • Base: Silver VUM
  • Window Color: Light blue-tinted
  • Interior Color: Red
  • Scale: 1:64

Packaging:

• Packaged in an acrylic case with environment-themed panorama background in a sturdy box

Availability:

•  Anyone (until sold out): Thursday, 8/19/21 at 9:00 a.m. PT

Pricing and Purchase Limits:

• Priced at $25.00 plus shipping and processing each; extra charges may apply for express shipping or special handling (customers shipping to Canada may be required to pay additional shipping charges or taxes)
  • We do offer international shipping to other countries – please see shipping costs and details here (international shipping availability subject to change)
  • Refunds only, no exchange

Items and dates subject to change. Production items may vary from the photos shown. Mattel reserves the right to modify the color, decorations, scale, body, and wheel type. Product subject to availability.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Related News

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Oh man...Wow! The Matchbox edition to this site has just been tremendous...uplifting for sure. This is a beautiful casting, and I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to own! 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kiwibeef said:

Matchbox is open to anyone buying them. So far. I'm sure they will eventually set it up like the redline club if it becomes popular.  So yes, you can buy one. I'm hoping there's no limit again like the routemaster. I'd like to get 2. 😁

Edited by Mccabe412
Quoted wrong person
  • Like 3

I like it a whole lot. Will try for 2. Since I see that their is no purchase limit. Now I hope that for the next sale and here on for Matchbox they put (MATCHBOX & THE CAR NAME) on the acrylic like they do for the RLC Cars that are in acrylic cases🤞🏾. Now that is a beauty. Will display it with my Chrome & Green RLC 300SL. 
🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗