Our Interviews With the Monster High Pride Capsule Collection Designers

By Allen Voivod (he/him)

Fans of Monster High tell us they feel seen by the stories about Frankie Stein, Draculaura, Clawdeen Wolf, and the rest of the boo crew. They create an inclusive space, one where people’s differences are celebrated and respected. This community thrives because people support each other, embrace their individuality, and help to create a better, more accepting world.

During Pride Month, we wanted to honor what Monster High represents to so many people worldwide. From May 31st until June 30th, for each Monster High Pride Capsule Collection item sold, Mattel will donate $1 to GLAAD, the world's largest LGBTQ media advocacy organization which works to protect all that has been accomplished while leading the charge to create a world where everyone can live the life they love.*

Because freedom of self-expression is also deeply rooted in the Monster High experience, we enlisted the artistry of two LGBTQ artists, Lou Choquette (he/they) and Cheyne Gallarde (he/him), to help create our first-ever Monster High Pride-themed capsule collection. Their styles, as you’ll see, are as unique as they are – and they’re designed to encourage you to celebrate your true self in this world.

We were thrilled to talk with them about their craft, their inspirations, and the messages they want to share with the world.

(Note: Interviews were conducted separately, and responses have been edited for clarity and length.)

Please share a bit of your artistic origin story with us.

Lou: My mom often told me that I’d been drawing ever since I could hold a pen and that, at age three, I was already making recognizable characters. Throughout my childhood, I would doodle what I saw in animated films and French comics. Right up until college, I mostly drew for fun – I used art as escapism and to express my love for horror and theater. Despite art being my job now, I still use it to escape to my own world.

Could contain: Book, Comics, Publication, Adult, Female, Person, Woman, Art, Face, Drawing

Cheyne: I grew up on old school Saturday morning cartoons, and I have distinct memories of running to the television with a sketch pad and trying to draw straight from the screen. Whenever there'd be drawing competitions in school, I would try and enter them. I drew for the middle school yearbooks, and in high school I drew comic strips for the school newspaper. Eventually I figured out how to make a living out of making art, and I'm very grateful for it.

What first drew you to Monster High?

Cheyne: I'm a big believer in the idea that inspiration is everywhere. I love going down the toy aisles, especially, and I remember looking for color palettes for a project, and the Monster High dolls caught my eye because I love horror. I'm a gay man, and I identify with strong females, so to see that, combined with monster-like horror elements, I thought, “This is brilliant. These are the dolls I've been looking for.” I love the level of detail that goes into the work and the thoughtfulness.

Could contain: Book, Comics, Publication, Adult, Male, Man, Person, Baby, Face, Portrait

What is it about Monster High that resonates with you?

Lou: I’ve always felt a little different from my peers and gravitated towards different things. Growing up I realized a lot of it had to do with the fact that I was neurodivergent and that I was queer. As a minority, I really saw myself in a lot of the characters at Monster High, and it always felt like a safe space. It's inclusive, welcoming, and very kind. It isn’t like, “Oh I love you despite your flaws.” It’s very much like, “I love you AND your flaws.” As someone who felt full of flaws or full of things to be ashamed of, Monster High was comforting in that way.

Why is a Pride-themed capsule collection like this important right now?

Lou: I definitely think it’s important, especially in today’s climate. I think having a collection that simply exists and is out there in the world for people to see is very important. It goes hand-in-hand with Monster High, which embodies kindness, respect, and acceptance in general.

Could contain: Art, Collage, Person, Book, Comics, Publication, People, Advertisement, Face, Head

Cheyne: I think it's important to show up for the community like this. Pride things tend to be a little bit campy at times, you know, when it's like rainbows everywhere. But I understand the sentiment behind it, to be proud of who you are, and embrace it, and not back down. So, I tried to translate that into the art style, and make the art itself a celebration. It's a celebration of uniqueness.

If there’s one impactful message you could put on a giant billboard for all Monster High fans to see, what would it be?

Cheyne: It would definitely be this quote from RuPaul: “Know who you are and deliver it at all times.” I cannot stress that enough. There's gonna be a thousand other people with their own style, and you cannot get distracted and compare yourself or try to be like them. Do one thing really well, then go out in the world with it.

Could contain: Book, Comics, Publication, Person, Art, Collage, Baby, Face, Head

Lou: “Be kind to other people and especially to yourself.” Being kind to other people is about approaching conflicts in life, and people opposing you, with kindness and respect. And don’t forget to be respectful and kind to yourself. Make sure you’re always comfortable and happy in your own life. That’s what matters the most.

* Offer valid through June 30, 2023, on eligible items sold at creations.mattel.com. Open only to residents of the U.S./D.C. Portion of the purchase is tax deductible. Offer dates may be extended in Mattel’s sole and absolute discretion. For any reason, including in the event of force majeure, Mattel reserves the right to suspend or cancel the promotion in its sole discretion.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Related News

User Feedback

Recommended Comments