Rat Fink charms from gumball machines

1.EYED.JACK

Vintage RAT FINK Neon Orange Ed Roth GUMBALL CHARM 1960s Prize No Ring Hole

Anybody else remember/collect these, from gumball machines?   I seem to recall these were around 1963-65, made in several colors, most with painted eyes. I think they were a quarter. I recall some of them with whiskers too.  Another childhood toy I wish I still had, but now just a fond memory.

• Like 2

Animated GIF

Don't remember those in particular....BUT I did build a bunch of early/mid 60's RF models......here's a funny one...My parents wouldn't let me use model paint for whatever reason, but I was allowed to use felt pens(when they were loaded with acetone) to color the models.. and model cement??...when finished they had that washed out look.....

Edited by SHUFFNCARS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4f24360d-7c85-4768-8d9d-1339fb197f53.Large.gif?171f9a6cb-64fe-469f-b756-463645b183a7.Large.gif?1

Could contain: Car, Coupe, Sports Car, Transportation, Vehicle, Light, Car Show

Shuffs sig.gif

Shuff's sig.gif

34 minutes ago, 1.EYED.JACK said:

Anybody else remember/collect these, from gumball machines?   I seem to recall these were around 1963-65, made in several colors, most with painted eyes. I think they were a quarter. I recall some of them with whiskers too.  Another childhood toy I wish I still had, but now just a fond memory.

never even seen one.but neat find

25 minutes ago, 1.EYED.JACK said:

Oh yeah !, without a doubt I remember them, I had a bunch of those but i'd lose them almost as fast as I got'em

those year date's are spot on, I would go with Mom to grocery shop on Friday's and after checking out i'd get the chance to 

hit the machine's with all the goodies in them.....??...they also had a Black Bat Ring (kinda to ref. Batman at the time in '66)....

Jack did ya get the Hamm's yet ?.....remember if ya can't get them i'll send ya some...just PM me.... 

Could contain: Moving Van, Transportation, Van, Vehicle, Pickup Truck, Truck, Car

28 minutes ago, SHUFFNCARS said:

use felt pens(when they were loaded with acetone) to color the models.. and model cement??

Oh so that's why I was get'in blasted when the Flair Felt Pen's first came out - I was using those in third grade...geez...?...well that

explain's everything...

• Like 1

Could contain: Moving Van, Transportation, Van, Vehicle, Pickup Truck, Truck, Car

When I grew up my dad had a print shop in the basement  (also where me and my brother's bedroom was) - A Heidleburg Hand-Platen press, 30-40 California job cases (drawers for type fonts) and the press ink plate and rollers and type were washed in varsol, so hobby paint and glue was never even a thought by the folks. (Probably explains why my elevator stops inbetween floors alot.)  And how I ended up in the printing industry.

Meet Our Letterpresses | Hoban Cards

Antique Letterpress Thompson California Job Case - Type Case - Shadow Box  L30-1

• Haha 2

Animated GIF

I kinda remember those Ratfink gumball toys..... but I do remember going to the hobby shop and buying asbestos (for volcano science projects) by the pound. Got it in brown paper bags.

Had a job at Montreal Standard Publishing in '76 - big printing place covered a large city block, had its own railway siding for newsprint rolls and ink came by the tankerload. The solvent recovery building was about 5,000 sqft. 10 minutes in there and you were done. Quit before they offered me an apprenticeship.

Surprising we all survived our youth!

• Like 1

Could contain: Car, Coupe, Sports Car, Spoke, Wheel, Alloy Wheel, Tire, Advertisement, Poster, Car Showf6d37c57-407a-4224-88b9-98bbaa1a16d4.Large.jpg?1