Why does Hot Wheels and Matchbox supply chain issues seem to be effected the most?

jghopslam

For months now and even in some cases the last year to two years there are major supply chain issues with Hot Wheels and Matchbox distribution, but I don't really see that with any other Mattel brand or toy in general.  What is going on?  Why is Hot Wheels and Matchbox effected so much by this?  And please don't tell me reseller, because it's not that.  

I could be wrong but my best guess is that, due to labor shortages and COVID, port authorities are probably prioritizing distribution of foods, medicine, industrial/construction materials and products, vehicles, etc. Toys are not in any national or state leader's priorities. Hot Wheels? Aah, leave it for last or throw them in the Pacific Ocean!!... 

In my over 30 years collecting Hot Wheels I never saw anything like this on retail. 

Edited by 1steditionman
  • Like 1

As jghopslam noted, though, there are other properties under the Mattel umbrella that seem to be less impacted. For example until 2 days ago my 2 closest Walmarts hadn't gotten any Hot Wheels stock for several weeks, but there's been new Barbie stuff on the floor almost daily, a lot of Fisher-Price and a few restocks of Uno.

• Like 1

people are forgetting a lot of the factories overseas have been shut down, sometimes a many as 3 or 4 times. there is a multitude of reasons of why some stuff is more prominent then others. M2 hasn't had a lot of stuff hit the shelves either. same with other diecast brands. think of what the items are made of as well.

• Like 3

Guest SHOMEDUDE
21 hours ago, 1steditionman said:

I could be wrong but my best guess is that, due to labor shortages and COVID, port authorities are probably prioritizing distribution of foods, medicine, industrial/construction materials and products, vehicles, etc. Toys are not in any national or state leader's priorities. Hot Wheels? Aah, leave it for last or throw them in the Pacific Ocean!!... 

In my over 30 years collecting Hot Wheels I never saw anything like this on retail. 

Well said! I agree.

I've also seen the Hot Wheels and Matchbox pegs more consistently emptier than, say, the Barbie shelves. My suspicion has been that, as a general rule, Hot Wheels have a lower profit margin than other Mattel properties, so Mattel has been giving those product lines that make more money priority when it comes to getting through the shipping gridlock. If that's true (I have no idea...maybe?), I'd have a hard time faulting them for it.

For what it's worth, this isn't a Christmas thing, It's been this way for months on top of months...the entire toy area is full, except for the pegs at the diecast aisle. My girlfriend chuckles when we check out the empty pegs and tells me they don't make them anymore. At least I get a little sympathy hug when she sees my dissapointment...so it's not a total loss. 😄👍

Fwiw, this is what it looked like on my last visit to Target...

20211231_131503.thumb.jpg.1d8dffc6b3b4b13754c71c598ecbb7d2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

and many forget that during the holidays, a lot more people buy the said dollar toy for stocking stuffers and other things. remember, it's a dollar toy. that's why they have empty pegs too. because it's a dollar... that's one of the most over looked fact. cheaper toys usually go first.