Hot Wheels model kits

I was in a Walmart today when I came across a new display with model kits in them. What was unusual was there were some Hot Wheels branded model kits, which I’ve never seen before.

Could contain: Car, Vehicle, Food, Sweets, Wheel, Box, Indoors, Candy, Furniture, Shelf

There were 3 cars, a 1996 Ford Mustang GT, an Opel GT dragster, and a Custom ‘32 Ford Vicky. It looked like they are AMT kits with a Hot Wheels tie in. I don’t really follow models so this is the first I heard about them. Anybody know more?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Engine 32 below said:

I was in a Walmart today when I came across a new display with model kits in them. What was unusual was there were some Hot Wheels branded model kits, which I’ve never seen before.

Could contain: Car, Vehicle, Food, Sweets, Wheel, Box, Indoors, Candy, Furniture, Shelf

There were 3 cars, a 1996 Ford Mustang GT, an Opel GT dragster, and a Custom ‘32 Ford Vicky. It looked like they are AMT kits with a Hot Wheels tie in. I don’t really follow models so this is the first I heard about them. Anybody know more?

I saw those at my local Walmart too, they look pretty neat. This model kit builder that I watch on YT is sent new kits to review, and I saw his video where he built that red Mustang 10 months ago so they've actually been out for a while now. I saw couple of these kits at Hobby Lobby months prior to Walmart bringing back their model kit shippers in store as well.

These do seem to be a collab/tie-in between AMT and Mattel. Round2 Corp. (parent company of Johnny Lightning, AMT, Auto World, Racing Champions) has a licensing deal with Hot Wheels currently, as I found some Auto World branded Hot Wheels slot cars at Hobby Lobby. One of the slot cars is actually a replica of the RLC Candy Striper 55 Bel Air Gasser! 

I hope this info helped 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

spacer.png

Thanks to COOLBREEZE for this amazing sig!

43 minutes ago, CamelHW said:

I saw those at my local Walmart too, they look pretty neat. This model kit builder that I watch on YT is sent new kits to review, and I saw his video where he built that red Mustang 10 months ago so they've actually been out for a while now. I saw couple of these kits at Hobby Lobby months prior to Walmart bringing back their model kit shippers in store as well.

These do seem to be a collab/tie-in between AMT and Mattel. Round2 Corp. (parent company of Johnny Lightning, AMT, Auto World, Racing Champions) has a licensing deal with Hot Wheels currently, as I found some Auto World branded Hot Wheels slot cars at Hobby Lobby. One of the slot cars is actually a replica of the RLC Candy Striper 55 Bel Air Gasser! 

I hope this info helped 😁

Neat, thanks for the info! It’s curious that Round 2 and Mattel would collaborate, considering they are competing in the same spaces. I guess they’re both making enough money off the deal for it not to matter.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

There's also a 5th gen Camaro Hot Wheels model I picked up. It is a glue together model and has orange chrome wheels and the body is molded in blue. The Mustang kit pictured is a snap together kit. I'm trying to remember what the other Hot Wheels kit was I saw, but it was also a snap together. I haven't seen the other two pictured. I have two versions of the Revell Hot Wheels Camaro race car. One has the 1/64 diecast in the kit and the other does not.

• Like 1

Wade RLC #1397