Legalities for starting Clubs and Meet-ups etc.

I would like to join or start a small club in my country, South Africa.
This may, hopefully then later evolve into Meet-Ups and maybe small fair/festival/show.
What is the legalities regarding something like this?
Do we need Mattel's permission or cooperation in any way?
Can we just get together and showcase our collections, hobbies and creations?
Are we allowed to exhibit, trade, exchange or sell any homemade/handmade items?
Any information or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much
Regards
Anne 

3 hours ago, Anne K said:

This may, hopefully then later evolve into Meet-Ups and maybe small fair/festival/show.

Thank you very much
Regards
Anne 

I know nothing about South Africa and their policies.  Here in the US, people just get together anytime they wish to.  This has nothing to do with Mattel.  I suggest you go for it.  Get together, share your interests, showcase your collections.  Have a Barbie Gathering!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Anne K said:

Thank you very much
Regards
Anne 

I'm not aware of the legality behind it but it got me curious for my side of the world. Nothing near me at all but it got me thinking maybe I'll try to do something similar if I can find a demand! 😁 it's a pity cause I didn't have any luck finding online ones either.  Boo. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, DARDECK said:

I know nothing about South Africa and their policies.  Here in the US, people just get together anytime they wish to.  This has nothing to do with Mattel.  I suggest you go for it.  Get together, share your interests, showcase your collections.  Have a Barbie Gathering!

Thank you. I think I will do that! 😄
I'm just a bit cautious about using the name Barbie maybe for marketing of the group or gathering.
Or even using any image for the group or marketing/letting people know about the group, that might get me in trouble with Mattel.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ellie_keep_up said:

I'm not aware of the legality behind it but it got me curious for my side of the world. Nothing near me at all but it got me thinking maybe I'll try to do something similar if I can find a demand! 😁 it's a pity cause I didn't have any luck finding online ones either.  Boo. 

Yes! let us start our own groups and get-together's. The Barbie convention always looks so much fun but I will never be able to go to one in USA or Europe.
But even just a small meet-up with people with the same interests will be great fun. I hope you find lots of like-minder folks near you as well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anne K said:

Thank you. I think I will do that! 😄
I'm just a bit cautious about using the name Barbie maybe for marketing of the group or gathering.
Or even using any image for the group or marketing/letting people know about the group, that might get me in trouble with Mattel.

I think Mattel would love the free advertising if you show pictures of Barbie.  And Barbie has become a household word in the US.  I don't believe you have anything to worry about.

• Like 4