Does Mattel listen when collectors request Mattel create a new doll?

Yes, they do.  Do they respond to posts with "that's a great idea, we'll get right on it!"?  No.  Do you eventually see a doll that is almost exactly what someone suggested?  Yes.  An example: several years ago, I suggested a series of dolls based on classic TV characters (Samantha, Jeannie, etc.) produced using vintage sculpts so that they look like what Mattel would have produced when those shows first aired.  One year later Mattel produced Samantha, Jeannie, and Elly May using vintage sculpts.  Maybe the concept had been in the pipeline for some time.  Maybe it's synchronicity.  I found it more than a little interesting.

• Like 3

Families belong together!

17 hours ago, Danny Carrington said:

One year later Mattel produced Samantha, Jeannie, and Elly May using vintage sculpts.  Maybe the concept had been in the pipeline for some time.  Maybe it's synchronicity.  I found it more than a little interesting.

Okay, Mattel, listen, you have one year to produce Model Muse Barbie with Nichelle 1990 sculpt. 😄 😄 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, dpf1276 said:

According to this NYT article they do: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/04/business/toys-direct-to-consumer-sales-ideas.html

l’d buy a model muse Barbie with Nichelle 1990 sculpt sight unseen, but will 10,000 of us buy it?

Not every doll comes in edition sizes that could satisfy 10000 people purchasing them. Made-to-order is always an option. Made-to-order has been successful, but people sometimes miss the order window and those that purchase the doll get impatient because they won't see their doll(s) for several months to a year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ABSOLUTEMEISTER said:

Not every doll comes in edition sizes that could satisfy 10000 people purchasing them. Made-to-order is always an option. Made-to-order has been successful, but people sometimes miss the order window and those that purchase the doll get impatient because they won't see their doll(s) for several months to a year.

True, but the article mentioned that the same request from 10,000 customers would certainly get Mattel’s attention. And 10,000 is well within the numbers for gold label dolls.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PAMMINORMAN1973 said:

I will buy that Nichelle and I think a lot of collectors would too.

Yes, I agree, when people bought dolls with other sculpts, I don´t see why they wouldn´t buy Nichelle one. Yes, I know people who hate Nichelle 1990 sculpt, at least 10, but I know many people who love it or chosen facial sculpt doesn´t matter to them, if the doll is beautiful. I think Basquiat Barbie and Madam CJ Walker Barbie were successful dolls, so there is possibility of success of Nichelle on MM body, although I am getting the fact both dolls were successful, because their connection with people they represented. AA version of A Date with Destiny generated many negative opinions, but to be fair, I didn´t like her either and I am big fan of Nichelle sculpt.

• Like 3

I don't have strong feelings about the Nichelle sculpt either way. I loved Nichelle when the first playline doll came out way back when, but then I kind of got bored of her. But I really like the Inspiring Women doll with her sculpt. I might buy a Nichelle on a MM body for rebodying, if she were affordable and interesting.

• Like 4