A Holiday Celebration: Barbie x Mariah Carey Doll

By Allen Voivod 

The holiday season will soon be upon us again – isn’t it amazing how time flies? It’s even more amazing to realize that it’s been nearly 30 years since the release of a modern holiday classic, “All I Want for Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey. It’s such an iconic song, we’re totally certain you’re hearing it in your head right now as you’re reading this.  

To celebrate how this tune has become so embedded in our holiday hearts, we’re thrilled to release the Barbie x Mariah Carey Doll. Designer Angel Kent and the rest of the Barbie Signature team hope she’ll become a staple of your festive displays, the same way Mariah’s joyful anthem has become a permanent part of the season’s songbook. 

“It's the best Christmas classic because it’s perfectly constructed, capturing every single element of the season while amplifying its meaning by making it all about love,” says Angel Kent, the designer for our Mariah doll. “Every part of this song builds into an incredible finale only ever pulled off by Mariah. This song is an experience, and a must at any Christmas celebration!” 

The song debuted in 1994, but because it wasn’t released as a single at the time, it didn’t qualify to appear on the Billboard Hot 100 record charts (though it did reach #6 on the Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary chart). For the 25th anniversary of the song in 2019, Mariah created a new music video version of the song called the “Make My Wish Come True Edition.” That helped propel the song to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, and it’s returned to top the charts during the holidays for the last four years. This year, recognizing the song’s longstanding cultural impact, the Library of Congress selected it for inclusion in the National Recording Registry. 

To dress our Mariah Carey doll, Angel Kent selected one of the gowns Mariah wears in that silver anniversary video. She’s dazzling in a glittery red gown that cuts a sublime silhouette against any winter backdrop. A ruched overlay at the hips and a dramatic hem slit add eye-catching detail. “I love the siren silhouette of this dress on Mariah,” Angel says. Glamorous curls, sparkly silver accessories, and matching red heels complete her festive look.  

Our team thoughtfully designed the doll box for our Mariah doll as well. We asked packaging designer Priscila Bara to describe how she approached the project, and made sure it was different from our annual Barbie Holiday Dolls. “I initially started with graphics inspired by the music video. As it evolved, we kept the intent and feeling of a winter scene. It still evokes the holiday spirit, and it has some not-so-hidden Easter eggs for the fans, like the butterflies.” It’s a reference to her personal and professional evolution, marked by the 1997 album Butterfly, as well as how Mariah stylizes the dot over the ‘i' in her signature as a butterfly. 

Mariah is an incredible vocalist and one of the best-selling female artists of all the time, and as Priscila says, “The holiday season wouldn’t be the same if her song wasn’t playing! It’s such a big hit, truly a staple during the holidays. Mariah deserves this celebration, not only for this song but also for her astonishing career.” 

Because of how beloved the singer and song are, we’re expecting our Mariah Carey Barbie Doll to fly off our shelves faster than a flight in Santa’s sleigh. So make your own wishes come true and add this holiday celebration doll to your collection right now. 

Could contain: Figurine, Doll, Toy, Adult, Female, Person, Woman, High Heel, Barbie, Face

Please note: This doll may also be available at participating Target and Walmart locations, as well as Amazon.com, Target.com, and Walmart.com. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Related News

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

8 hours ago, rcuevas said:

The doll is beautiful and actually turned out to be a great likeness. Angel Kent and his team did a wonderful job. I ordered her from Amazon with free shipping.

Just curious, were you able to order from Amazon yesterday  / last night?  I ordered from Mattel but attempted to purchase from Amazon but couldn't find the doll.

8 hours ago, rcuevas said:

The doll is beautiful and actually turned out to be a great likeness. Angel Kent and his team did a wonderful job. I ordered her from Amazon with free shipping.

Just curious, were you able to order from Amazon yesterday/last night?  I attempted to purchase from Amazon but couldn't find it.   Ended up getting from Mattel. 

Good evening, I don't understand why the Mariah Carey Barbie costs €105 (excluding shipping
 costs) on the Mattel website, while from resellers in France I was able to buy it for
 €79.99 + shipping! Is it less expansive in shops than in Mattel Creations ? Thank you for
 your answer. BR. L

Could contain: Text

Could contain: Text, Logo

Edited by Lætitia

8 hours ago, Sonniy said:

Just curious, were you able to order from Amazon yesterday  / last night?  I ordered from Mattel but attempted to purchase from Amazon but couldn't find the doll.

Yes, I was able to order her from Amazon US. She was available there three hours after she dropped here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How do you get through the captcha. I kept  answering correctly. Them I’d click submit and get a new captcha pic. Kept happening over and over. What do I do once I get the captcha checkmark. Do I click submit? Or do I go to my cart once I get a check mark?  I kept clicking submit and then I’d get a new captcha. By the time I finally got to my cart (don’t know how) and went to PayPal the Barbie was removed from my cart and sold out. So once I get the check mark proving I’m not a robot what do I do next?

• Like 2