A Long-Overdue Turn in the Spotlight: Sugar’s Daddy Ken Doll

By Allen Voivod

In the confines of Weird Barbie’s house in Barbie The Movie, we got to meet a surprising cast of supporting characters. But none, perhaps, was more unexpected than a certain Ken doll, cradling a small dog in one arm. That was Sugar’s Daddy Ken, and we’re so pleased to tell you that he’s arriving at Mattel Creations today as a member-exclusive doll. Sugar, of course, is joining him.

Upon learning that Barbie Signature would be releasing a Sugar’s Daddy Ken Doll, Robert Best says, “My first reaction was disbelief. The doll was never actually produced, unlike several of the other dolls that are referenced in the film. Sugar’s Daddy was only ever a prototype or a concept, but never went into production.”

Robert, the VP of Product Design for Barbie, is also the creator of the long-running Barbie Fashion Model Collection (BFMC). From 2000-2020, Robert redefined haute couture with Barbie as his muse, putting contemporary twists on classic elements of the well-dressed woman’s wardrobe. Ken made an occasional appearance, too, which brings us to the man of the moment. 

For 2010’s BFMC releases, Robert took inspiration from the sun-soaked styles of South Florida. The “Palm Beach” series of dolls included Breeze Barbie Doll, Coral Barbie Doll, Honey Barbie Doll, and Swim Suit Barbie Doll. Notably, Honey Barbie Doll came with a little Yorkshire Terrier named “Miss Honey” … and we’ll let Robert tell you the rest.

“[Sugar’s Daddy Ken] was initially part of the Palm Beach collection of BFMC dolls. We were always coming up with names that would tell a story. I had already included the white little dog as part of [Honey Barbie doll’s] look, and as Barbie’s dog had the name ‘Miss Honey,’ we thought it would be cute to name Ken’s dog ‘Sugar.’ 

“By we, I mean [Barbie Principal Designer] Bill Greening and myself came up with the final name, and I don’t think we really thought that it would stick. It did, but the doll was eventually dropped. Of course, now he’s part of a much bigger story, and I couldn’t be more proud. Some fans were aware of the doll, so being able to finally make him available is pretty awesome.”

Sugar’s Daddy Ken doll’s pastel suit is pulled straight from the feature film. He wears a tailored mint green jacket, paired with a pink polo shirt and crisp white trousers. He’s accompanied by Sugar, a little white terrier on a pink leash. And there’s a bit of fun serendipity that happened with the doll box design as well. 

Could contain: Clothing, Coat, Person, Canine, Dog, Mammal, Pet, Shirt, Face, Head

As Senior Packaging Designer Laydiana Chiv tells us, “We wanted Sugar to be the star of this item – after all, this Ken doll wouldn’t be who he is without the white floof of a dog. So we packed him in the doll’s arm. And it turned out that’s how he was being held by Ken in the movie!”

Palm Beach Honey Barbie Doll with “Miss Honey” was a club exclusive back in the day, so it seems only fitting that Sugar’s Daddy Ken is also available only to Barbie Signature members. Both he and Sugar are in the online shop right now at Mattel Creations, so don’t miss your chance at getting this pair that almost made it once, but are now finally getting their time in the limelight.

©2023 Mattel. © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved. (s23)

• Like 4

Related News

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

So disappointed, just wanted 1 for my collection. Instead missed out yet again and members are already selling the ones they brought online for a crazy price. Why don’t you just limit it to 1 to allow members who are paying a fee to get one. Now if I want one I have to pay 4 times the price cause of these greedy people. No different to the Ken dolls. My partners been trying to locate one for me for my bday and they are asking for 500$ what is crazy! Disappointed Mattel. And just to add why can’t I just buy the same goods that Americans do, shipping in USA only is what then causes these issues, or else allow the Australian Mattel to stock the same goods.

• Like 9

It seems like my first post under this story was deleted. I re-joined Barbie Signature specifically for this doll. I came back on release day, and they were already sold out. I reached out to support and haven't gotten a response. I had hoped things had changed with this "membership," but it hasn't. I'll never understand why they wouldn't just make more to meet the demand. At least the "I am Kenough" doll is made to order so everyone has a chance to get him, but my top choice for a Barbie: The Movie doll was Sugar's Daddy Ken.