Ready to celebrate Mother’s Day? Find the perfect picks for every fan’s collection. Shop Now

#Barbiecore From the Source: Pink Collection Doll 4

By Allen Voivod

In the fashion world, what do you think of when you think of “pink”? For millions of people around the world, from couture designers to doll collectors to fans across multiple generations, the number one answer is “Barbie.” So when Vice President of Barbie Design Robert Best set out to create a follow-up to his seminal Barbie Fashion Model Collection, he drew inspiration from Barbie doll’s signature color.

His bold celebration of the shades that helped make Barbie doll so iconic continues with the release of Pink Collection Doll 4, a Mattel Creations Exclusive. Retailing for $125 in our online shop, this Gold Label doll has an initial purchase limit of three (3) per person. You’ll want to move fast to get yours, because collectors have been talking about this one for months.

Initially revealed at the 2022 National Barbie Doll Convention in Chicago this past July, the aspect of the doll that caused such a sensation were her boots. And that’s the reaction our team was hoping for. “This design was really centered around the boots,” Robert reveals. “It’s a little unusual to draw focus from the gown, but in this case it felt justified. I very much love the gown, but I intentionally kept it very simple.”

With this fourth creation, Robert unveils a modern, dramatic silhouette in pink taffeta. Barbie doll wears a red-carpet-ready gown with pleats and shirring details, a matching belt, and a sweeping train. The full skirted high-low design serves as an anchor to showcase her over-the-top, over-the-knee boots.

The boots! Barbie fans around the world have breathlessly discussed them on social media since the convention reveal. Boots made with satin – and boots that rise this high – are uncommon for a Barbie doll. But this pair pulls out all the stops. “The material is embroidered satin, and the embroidery is inspired by very classic estate jewelry, featuring pink stones trimmed with silver and crystal embellishments,” Robert says. “I also love that the black satin really highlights the jewel-like quality of the embroidery, as though [the stones and embellishments] are on display in a jewel case.”

Could contain: Doll, Toy, Barbie, Figurine, Person, Human

The doll’s jewelry suite includes shimmering rhinestone drop earrings, framed by her pulled-back Afro ponytail hairstyle. She features our proprietary Silkstone doll body with Model Muse details, which Robert says is part of a broader attempt to expand Barbie Signature’s Silkstone library. “We’re now offering more dolls in this material, including vintage reproductions and this collection,” Robert explains. “The Barbie Fashion Model Collection used to be the primary collection featuring Silkstone, and it feels right that we continue to have unique offerings in a premium material that we know collectors value.”

To ensure that collectors get a “premium” feel from the entire Pink Collection experience, we also make sure the packaging delivers a next-level presentation of the dolls. Key Lead Designer Vicky Gevorkyan has created all four doll boxes for the Pink Collection thus far, and she says this latest one “is similar in package design [to the previous three]. It’s in a glossy fuchsia pink color that matches the doll fashion nicely and uses a gold foil logo to complement the details of the doll.”

If there’s one area of packaging that causes a conundrum for collectors, it’s the question of whether to remove the doll from the box for display or to keep it pristine inside the package. Luckily, there’s a way to balance those competing concerns. “The package lends itself to display because of the window front panel feature,” Vicky says. “The package opens easily, like a book, and has a magnetic closure for easy opening, so the packaging won’t end up damaged. It’s very easy for a collector to remove the doll and place it back inside.”

Now that you know all about the fourth Pink Collection Doll – a Mattel Creations Exclusive! – you’ve gotta add her to your collection when she arrives on 9/28 at 9 AM PT. But if you need one more reason, here it is: This doll is the last one in the collection that will be designed by Robert (for now, at least). With his work complete for the time being, we asked him to reflect on the series to date.

“I like that all four dolls are unique but still feel like part of a collection,” he says. “I think they show a range of diverse styles and moods that reflect my own different feelings and ways of expressing style and design. All of them also feel very core to Barbie. I guess for those of us who permanently live and breathe ‘#Barbiecore,’ it’s nice to see the rest of the world catch up!”

• Like 4

Related News

User Feedback

Recommended Comments