Brownette Is Back: Member Exclusive Bubble Cut Barbie Doll Reproduction!

By Allen Voivod

Silkstone Barbie dolls are some of the highest quality Barbie dolls made. Once reserved almost exclusively for the Barbie Fashion Model Collection, Silkstone material has the weight and texture of porcelain, but it's more durable. We're also using this premium doll body for another collection of remarkable dolls, the Silkstone Series.

Today, the third entry in that collection makes her dazzling debut: The 1961 Brownette Bubble Cut Barbie Doll Reproduction! She's only available to Barbie Signature members, and only at Mattel Creations.

To get a little perspective on why this doll is so important in Barbie history, we talked to Principal Designer Bill Greening, who led the Barbie Signature team on this vintage reproduction project. "The first two years Barbie was sold [1959 and 1960], she wore the iconic black and white swimsuit with her signature ponytail hairstyle, available in blonde or brunette."

For her third year, Barbie changed it up in big new way. Bill explains: "In 1961, Mattel gave Barbie a new hairstyle for the first time since her introduction, the 'bubble cut.' This hairstyle is so iconically 1960s. It definitely took Barbie doll’s look forward into a new decade, keeping up with the latest fashion look. Many women sported this teased and hair-sprayed style in this decade. 2021 is the 60th anniversary of this iconic hairdo for Barbie."

For Bill, recreating this doll also means something more personally to him. "As a collector I also love the Mattel-produced Bubble Cuts from 1961-1967! Each year seems to look a little different, so there are lots of variations for collectors to find. This is the first time we have reproduced this particular doll."

MC_Barbie_Bubblecut_Blog_Inline.jpg.de6724eeba7cadc4770cb46896fa0ab8.jpg

The hair is the star of the show with this doll, and in more ways than one. Here's a little more history from Bill. "The original Bubble Cut Barbie Doll was first available in five hair colors: blonde, brunette, titian (redhead), white ginger (very light blonde, almost platinum), and the brownette. Since the brownette hair color was only available on the first 1961 Bubble Cut Barbie dolls, it's commonly considered a rare find by collectors today."

So when this vintage reproduction went into design, the choice of hair color for it was a no-brainer. Knowing how coveted the brownette version of the doll is, we wanted to make absolutely sure we got it right. And Bill was deeply invested, making him perfect for the task. "In this case, the hair color was so critical," he agrees. "I reached out to a fellow collector who lives locally and had a perfect example in her original box. He graciously entrusted me with her, and I was able to meet with the Barbie hair team to find a color that is the closest match. It’s a very pretty warm brown."

Fashion-wise, Barbie doll wears a reproduction of her elegant navy and gold lamé sheath dress, adding glamour with a stylish gold clutch and navy open-toed heels. She also wears "pearl" earrings, and Bill shared a bit with us about the recreation of her accessories. "With the vintage reproduction dolls, the team tries to make them look historically accurate as possible. Some of the manufacturing techniques have changed over the years so we have to work within those parameters today."

Dressed with '60s panache and complete with a vintage inspired wrist tag, doll stand, and Certificate of Authenticity, the Gold Label 1961 Brownette Bubble Cut Barbie Doll Reproduction is a perfect gift for Barbie collectors – and with a three-doll limit per person, you can treat yourself, too! She's available now for $75, only for Barbie Signature members, at the Mattel Creations online shop. 

Not a member? You can join today and get the doll at the same time!

• Like 5

Related News

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

This doll is gorgeous and I love the quality of the Silkstone material. She’ll be joining my Mattel 75th Anniversary Swimsuit Barbie and Ken 60th Anniversary dolls in my Silkstone Series collection. You got it right with this one Bill Greening and team. Keep the dolls coming! I look forward to future releases.

• Like 5

I am a fan of this doll!.... love the vintage look and the silkstone body. Love the vintage couture fashion on this doll.... I'm still missing the BFMC line, but mostly for their quality..... so much plastic on most of the new dolls or cheap fabrics, and what's with the ugly face sculpts on so many of these dolls.. I look back at many of my older barbie collectors dolls and they have it all! Great design, fine fabric, great face sculpt, nice packaging, metal jewelry. I spend so much less these days, so Mattel you are losing my dollars by not producing as many great quality dolls. There are still a lot to choose from and some great dolls produced, just not as high end. Way too many play-line quality dolls pretending to be collectors quality... Just because you put  play-line dolls in a collectors boxes!!!... it does not make the doll any less cheap! Just a good presentation for a cheap doll with ugly plastic accessories and polyester fabric usually a $100 dollar price tag... that's my rant these days... I miss the Mackie face sculpt! And I love this golden confection!

Edited by ANARTIST
spelling

I've ordered this doll and I can hardly wait for her to arrive.  I thought I had all the Barbies I wanted (I like to collect the vintage and repro outfits) but I couldn't resist this one!

• Like 1

When I first saw this doll for sale, I was so excited and ordered one immediately.  Although the face is absolutely stunning, I wasn't impressed with the hair.  I've owned my share of vintage bubble cuts over the years and this repro doesn't seem to compare.  From the side, it appears more like a Dorothy Hamill wedge cut than a bubble.  Since vintage reproductions were first introduced, there have been a number released with the bubble cut hairstyle very close to the original so not sure what happened here. 

Also, the reproduction outfit is beautiful but has it's flaws as well.  Plastic snaps, really???  And underneath the dress is piece of plastic sewn into a sheath which can be assumed to prevent staining from the fabric.  There have been a number of reproduction outfits over the years that have stained the dolls so it would be nice if fabrics that didn't stain would be incorporated into the fashions from the get go.  A better stand would have been nice as well.  The one included is plastic and cheap and I would not trust it to hold such a heavy doll. A wire repro such as the one included with the "Let's Play Barbie" dolls would have been more appropriate and true to detail.

I absolutely love the reproduction line of dolls and outfits, for the most part, as I would never be able to afford the originals. Sometimes they're close to perfection, other times not, so we can hope future releases improve.

940395667_Bubble1.jpg.837c6077565719f71f5780ad63ec4343.jpg1698990566_Bubble2.jpeg.17058afdda1ce54bf62536d28c1e6255.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 9:39 AM, DenCoBill said:

When I first saw this doll for sale, I was so excited and ordered one immediately.  Although the face is absolutely stunning, I wasn't impressed with the hair.  I've owned my share of vintage bubble cuts over the years and this repro doesn't seem to compare.  From the side, it appears more like a Dorothy Hamill wedge cut than a bubble.  Since vintage reproductions were first introduced, there have been a number released with the bubble cut hairstyle very close to the original so not sure what happened here. 

Also, the reproduction outfit is beautiful but has it's flaws as well.  Plastic snaps, really???  And underneath the dress is piece of plastic sewn into a sheath which can be assumed to prevent staining from the fabric.  There have been a number of reproduction outfits over the years that have stained the dolls so it would be nice if fabrics that didn't stain would be incorporated into the fashions from the get go.  A better stand would have been nice as well.  The one included is plastic and cheap and I would not trust it to hold such a heavy doll. A wire repro such as the one included with the "Let's Play Barbie" dolls would have been more appropriate and true to detail.

I absolutely love the reproduction line of dolls and outfits, for the most part, as I would never be able to afford the originals. Sometimes they're close to perfection, other times not, so we can hope future releases improve.

940395667_Bubble1.jpg.837c6077565719f71f5780ad63ec4343.jpg1698990566_Bubble2.jpeg.17058afdda1ce54bf62536d28c1e6255.jpeg

That hair is terrible.... no styling at all.... I hope mine is better but my hopes are now low.... and yes I have several repos of the bubble cut that are good... looks like the factory does not want to take the time to fix the hair... cheap looking hair... so disappointed!... thanks for posting this.... I may send mine back.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ANARTIST said:

That hair is terrible.... no styling at all.... I hope mine is better but my hopes are now low.... and yes I have several repos of the bubble cut that are good... looks like the factory does not want to take the time to fix the hair... cheap looking hair... so disappointed!... thanks for posting this.... I may send mine back.

You gotta get the comb out and restyle it yourself, I know your's looks like a helmet, but go for the toss and comb, you will be surprised at what you come up with, mine was the same way. You gotta go for it, the texture on this doll is almost like the original, so it will hold what ever style you put her in. You gotta comb and fluff.

• Like 1

I love this doll.  Woke up early the morning of the release to buy. The vintage hairstyle, the beautiful brocade dress and the fine details of the shoes, purse and nail polish.   Not to mention the beautiful silkstone face mold.  Sure hope Barbie keeps putting out the vintage faces!!!!

On 11/10/2021 at 7:39 AM, DenCoBill said:

If staining is a problem due to fabric I'm surprised Mattel is not lining the outfits so they won't stain the dolls.  It isn't costly to sew in a proper liner.  A nice navy liner would be nicer than plastic.  I've purchased & modified silkstone clothing patterns to create dresses for MTM Barbies for my granddaughters.  The dresses I've created have attached liners, metal hooks and snaps, and I've used nice fabrics.

• Like 1

Bonjour, je possède une poupée originale avec 2 têtes interchangeables. l’une avec les cheveux courts roux et sur l’autre les cheveux sont peints, la coiffure est un chignon et j’ai 3 perruques : blonde et brune mi-longues et une rousse courte. 

These newer 1961 reproductions are solid!  The bubble cut hair style is so much more in proportion to the size of dolls head, as opposed to many of the previous My Favorite and Career Barbie boxed bubble cut series with the fuller poofs!  Great job on these new reproduction styles Bill Greening and the staff at Mattel!  Merry Christmas, and all the best to you ahead in 2022!  

• Like 1