Ready to celebrate Mother’s Day? Find the perfect picks for every fan’s collection. Shop Now

The Triumphant Return of Bob Mackie and His New Barbie Holiday Angel Doll

Mackie’s back, and we couldn’t be more excited about it. The legendary designer, who’s made a host of wildly fantastic creations for Barbie doll, makes his return to Barbie Signature with the Bob Mackie Barbie Holiday Angel Doll. This member-exclusive doll continues a tradition of glitz and glamour unlike any other in the history of our premium doll collections. (Not a Barbie Signature member? You can join and get the doll at the same time.)

“I have always loved working with Barbie and I am thrilled to be dressing her again,” Mackie says. “She loves to get dressed up, and when I am creating for her, she HAS to make a magical entrance.”

Mackie delivers that magic with ease once more, dressing Barbie doll in a striking gown, draped with an embroidered sash and shimmers from every angle as if dipped in gold. If you get a little buzz of nostalgia seeing it, you’re not crazy – the dazzling ensemble is partly inspired by the iconic Bob Mackie Gold Barbie Doll, released in 1990. (That doll is also one of the most highly valued and still-sought-after Barbie dolls.)

And by framing the fashion with soaring sparkly wings and a luminous halo, Mackie sets Barbie up for an ethereal entrance. “For me, a glorious angel doll must have beautiful, transparent glittering wings and a halo,” Mackie says. “This one has that, AND you can also see the rest of the magical holiday lights sparkle through them!” Shimmering eye makeup and sculpted wrist cuffs grace the design with an added touch of style, completing the look.

If you’ve read about our previous partnerships with designers, you know there’s a process each project goes through to get to the final doll you’ll display in your collection. With Mackie, it was similar, but there was also a lot of ground to cover that doesn’t usually apply to other designers. “We discussed possible new ideas, and of course, we had to think about the many things we had already done in the past and what might be done in the future,” Mackie explains. “I had many meetings with the terrific design team at Mattel. I submitted sketches and color ideas. I worked hand-in-hand with the team,” which was led by Principal Barbie Designer Bill Greening.

The result, as you can see, embodies all the style and spectacle you’d expect from a Bob Mackie design, along with a bit of a twist. When we asked him about his previous holiday-themed dolls, and how he sees his new Holiday Angel Doll in relation to them, he replied. “I see this doll as an evolution into new territory, with inspiration from other cultures around the world.”

With Mackie returning to design for Barbie doll, we thought it would be appropriate to bring another team member with Mackie experience into the project: packaging designer Sal Velazquez. “This is the second Bob Mackie doll package I’ve worked on. My first was the Bob Mackie Countess Dracula package I designed in 2011,” Sal reveals. “Seeing the new doll for the first time got me excited to be working on an angel-themed design and even more knowing it was a Bob Mackie doll. I love how he goes all out with his designs and how tongue in cheek some of his creations can get. So fun!”

An outrageous design like Mackie’s can also lead to interesting possibilities for a packaging designer determining how to present the doll appropriately in the doll box. “I start with looking at the doll design for inspiration along with what the creative brief is also asking for,” Sal says. “I was really inspired by the doll dressed in an all-golden fashion. We also took some of the sash elements from the doll’s fashion and created an all-golden sculpted border surrounding the Bob Mackie logo. I also felt an accent color like red really made the doll pop in her gold fashion.”

You’ll have a hard time deciding whether you want to keep her in the box or take her out for your display. But if there’s one thing we know for sure, it’s Mackie’s vision for the doll and your experience. “I want this new doll to celebrate many festive and glamorous occasions,” Mackie says. “When you see her, you know you are having a real celebration.”

So get in the holiday spirit by ordering the Bob Mackie Barbie Holiday Angel Doll today. This Gold Label doll is available now in our online shop for members only. And if you’re not a member, you can order the doll and join during checkout.

Could contain: Doll, Toy, Barbie, Figurine

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Related News

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

It’s great to see Bob Mackie return to designing for Barbie. This doll is only the eighth to use the Claudette face sculpt. I hope this becomes a series of dolls with different face sculpts and skin tone. Thanks to Bill Greening and his team!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would love to see all your dolls smiling. Our children today need to see more happy faces. Some of the dolls look very stuck up or have a mean look to them. Smiles bring more Smiles.