A Creation of Innovation: RLC Exclusive 1986 Porsche 959

By Gary Barnum

The Porsche 959 was filled with so many innovations, it shaped the company’s future – and the future of supercars – but the manufacturer only made a few more than 300. Still felt today, its influence now gives birth to a great RLC Exclusive with some innovation of its own.

When Porsche released the car in the 1980s, it was one of the first sports cars with all-wheel drive and active suspension. It needed the traction – with a twin turbocharged engine, it was among the fastest production cars in the world at the time. It was so fast, in fact, that it wasn’t legally allowed into the U.S. until 1999!

Our design team remained true to the spirit of this superstar supercar with an innovation for Hot Wheels. “The Porsche 959 has a staggered track width,” says designer Brendon Vetuskey, “meaning the rear wheels sit farther apart than the front wheels do.” The new casting also features an opening rear hood, exposing the accurate attention to detail on the engine. With a Spectraflame red finish, Real Riders fifteen52 Outlaw wheels, and a multi-piece interior, it’s a perfect way to elevate your collection.

• Features: Opening rear hood
  • Body Color: Spectraflame red
  • Graphics: Authentic manufacturer logos
  • Body Type: ZAMAC
  • Wheels: Real Riders fifteen52 Outlaw wheels with gray and matte black painted hubs
  • Base: Full-metal, matte black painted chassis and engine with painted details
  • Window Color: Light smoke-tinted
  • Interior Color: Black with gray and red painted details
  • Scale 1:64

Could contain: Machine, Spoke, Car, Coupe, Sports Car, Vehicle, Alloy Wheel, Car Wheel, Tire, WheelCould contain: Machine, Spoke, Alloy Wheel, Car, Car Wheel, Tire, Wheel, Coupe, Sports Car, Advertisement

PACKAGING

• Packaged on an illustrated blister card, packed in a Kar Keepers clamshell case

AVAILABILITY

• RLC members only: May 30, 2023, at 9 AM PT until sold out

PRICING AND PURCHASE LIMITS

• Priced at $25.00 plus shipping and processing each; extra charges may apply for express shipping or special handling (customers shipping to Canada may be required to pay additional shipping charges or taxes)
  • We offer international shipping – please see shipping costs and details here  (international shipping availability subject to change)
  • Limit of one (1) per club membership; limit five (5) per household (purchase limits subject to change at our sole discretion)
  • Refunds only, no exchanges

Items and dates subject to change. Production items may vary from the photos shown. Mattel reserves the right to modify the color, decorations, scale, body, and wheel type. Product subject to availability. Items placed in your shopping cart are not guaranteed to be available for purchase until you have completed checkout and received an order number via confirmation page or email. 

• Like 11

Related News

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

11 hours ago, MustangPro1 said:

Amazing car but it should have been in an acrylic case numbered to do it justice.  Good luck everyone.

Either way, Gotta Get That!

• Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 3:48 AM, Tasmanian Devil said:

If they don't list in the article, the production amount is not available.

Which probably means alot...  I think the highest "sticker" we've seen is 30k?  I think they've kind of stopped doing the numbered stickers for production over 30k?  One could presume that it just seems a little silly to have a sticker that says 1/50xxx or w/e the production number is 

• Like 1

Waited 6 months for this car to release and stalked the updates and leaks the whole time. This is my first RLC i got and was definitely worth the wait, will be a great addition to my porsche 959 collection. Cant wait for the black 959 in November🤞

• Like 1

I was so super excited to finally be able to jump through all the hoops and purchase a car on the website.  My charge card was validated, I had another object in my cart, I waited in line just the right amount of time and received the official confirmation of purchase after four months of trying.  Happy camper here!!!