A Sting of Mystery: The RLC Exclusive Custom Corvette!

By Allen Voivod

Picture it: 1967. It's the final model year for the C2 – the second generation of Chevrolet Corvettes. Chevy redesigns the body and the interior of the Corvette for the 1968 model year, based on the "Mako Shark II" concept car. But before they reveal the first of the Corvette C3s to the world, fans get a preview from an unlikely source: Hot Wheels!

We say "unlikely" because Hot Wheels wasn't even a thing in the world until May 18, 1968. That's the day the "Original 16" Hot Wheels roared into the world, and one of those castings was the "Custom Corvette," inspired by the design that Chevy would unveil a few months later.

That '68 model sealed its place in the long and storied history of Hot Wheels, and now we're adding a little bit of mystery back into the mix with our new RLC Exclusive Custom Corvette. Spectraflame true black paint adorns the body and the chassis of this historic muscle car, making it quite comfortable in the shadows. But the red scallops and the Neo-Classics Redline wheels make it clear that it wants your attention, too.

From the photos, you'll note that it says "Stingray" on the sides and wears a "STNGR" license plate. That's because we're making it an honorary member of the family! The actual 1968 Corvette did not, in fact, carry the "Stingray" name. All the C2s (1963-67) were called "Sting Rays," and from 1969-76 the C3s were called "Stingrays." But the name was not used in either way for the 1968 models – until now.

With an opening hood that lets you explore the power plant that makes this car the strong-but-not-so-silent type, our RLC Custom Corvette is ready to make a new name for itself. Don't miss your opportunity to add this members-only muscle car to your collection starting February 1, 2022, at 9am PT. (Not a member of the RLC? Explore all the benefits and join now!)

HWC_Article_ImageSet_HCK29_Corvette.thumb.jpg.85dfc598709f863f4706850575b8f1c8.jpg

Packaging: 

• RLC blister in Kar Keepers clamshell case
  • Each vehicle features an individually numbered sticker (xxx/25,000)

Availability: 

• Available Only to RLC Members (until item is sold out): 2/1/2022 at 9:00 a.m. PT

Pricing and Purchase Limits: 

• Priced at $25.00 plus shipping and processing each; extra charges may apply for express shipping or special handling (customers shipping to Canada may be required to pay additional shipping charges or taxes)
  • We do offer international shipping to other countries – please see shipping costs and details here (international shipping availability subject to change)
  • Limit of TWO (2) per RLC Membership; limit five (5) per household (if quantities remain, limits may be increased or lifted at our sole discretion)
  • Refunds only, no exchanges

Items and dates subject to change. Production items may vary from the photos shown. Mattel reserves the right to modify the color, decorations, scale, body, and wheel type. Product subject to availability. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

Related News

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I'm a big fan of the Hot Wheels Custom Corvette, and it is my intent to acquire this beautiful edition.  But if it was originally released along with the other "Original 16" Hot Wheels in May 1968, it's my understanding that would've been about eight months AFTER the actual 1:1 C3 Corvette was introduced by Chevrolet in the fall of '67 along with their other 1968 models.  After all, by August of '68 (a few months after Hot Wheels were introduced) Chevrolet would've been starting in on production of the 1969 models - and I don't think '68 Corvettes had a production run of only a few months.

Something about this bit of history/lore/legend just doesn't seem to add up. LOL

😉

Dave

• Like 1

Going to be honest, the redline wheels are definitely for the older folk who perhaps played with them as kids.  For the younger generation, not something that necessarily appeals (at least to me in my opinion).  I get that its a throwback to the classics, but on an RLC car.. i am no fan of plastic wheels.  I'd rather see chrome 5 spoke rims with the rubber tires and redline strip on the tire.   Maybe....I'll pick one of these up... maybe.. but plastic wheels... what a vibe killer for me on a "premium $25 car".  Good luck and happy buying to all those who really do like the classic redline wheels though! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Thank you @HWCBRENDON and @HWCVAN for this one!

This one and the pink Custom Eldorado are my favorites from the 2021 year.

And thank you whomever for allowing two per membership!  First time since the Steam Punk Truck.  

I only need one, but I'll get 2 so I can send one to my half-brother who took me for a ride one day back in the 70s in his sweet Vette.  That meant a lot to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, F0RCED1NDUCT10N_1 said:

Going to be honest, the redline wheels are definitely for the older folk who perhaps played with them as kids.  For the younger generation, not something that necessarily appeals (at least to me in my opinion).  I get that its a throwback to the classics, but on an RLC car.. i am no fan of plastic wheels.  I'd rather see chrome 5 spoke rims with the rubber tires and redline strip on the tire.   Maybe....I'll pick one of these up... maybe.. but plastic wheels... what a vibe killer for me on a "premium $25 car".  Good luck and happy buying to all those who really do like the classic redline wheels though! 

Not sure the why you think "older folks" likes the older rim/wheels on a sweet lookin corvette. Don't assume!!

Why go 2 per when Mattel realizes it’s going to be heavy quick seller?Especially since all 2021’s available allowed for 1 per membership….Just like the boxed Treasure hunt set,it’s in your cart,and then SOLD OUT!….FRUSTRATION LOADING ROB OTT!

18 hours ago, David_Mau said:

I'm a big fan of the Hot Wheels Custom Corvette, and it is my intent to acquire this beautiful edition.  But if it was originally released along with the other "Original 16" Hot Wheels in May 1968, it's my understanding that would've been about eight months AFTER the actual 1:1 C3 Corvette was introduced by Chevrolet in the fall of '67 along with their other 1968 models.  After all, by August of '68 (a few months after Hot Wheels were introduced) Chevrolet would've been starting in on production of the 1969 models - and I don't think '68 Corvettes had a production run of only a few months.

Something about this bit of history/lore/legend just doesn't seem to add up. LOL

😉

Dave

Whoa??  Hey Hot Wheels, you’ve been Daved!!   LOL

21 hours ago, David_Mau said:

😉

Dave

Welcome to the minority of understanding!  By May of '68 nearly 21,000 1968 Corvettes had been shipped to Chevy dealerships.  I'm pretty sure by then a few of them had been sold.  It couldnt have been to much of a secret still.

3 hours ago, M D Legaspi said:

I have not been getting any RLC of late, so I am going to try again this time. If I don't get it, I already have an alternate in mind...

Gotta have a plan B... Seems like a good choice.

I have not been getting any RLC of late, so I am going to try again this time. If I don't get it, I already have an alternate in mind...

YES!!! These are the wheels and tires I wanted to see on the vette!  If it had those, definite hands down buy for me! 

I'll agree those wheels and RR tires would look amazing on this casting with the black and red paint scheme! 

6 minutes ago, F0RCED1NDUCT10N_1 said:

YES!!! These are the wheels and tires I wanted to see on the vette!  If it had those, definite hands down buy for me!