Upscale Your Collection: Hot Wheels Premium 1:43 Series

By Gary Barnum

If you love cars, we’re about to rev you up – upscale, that is. While our beloved 1:64 automobiles fit in the palm of your hand, the larger scale is more than a handful. Our electrifying new Premium line of 1:43 scale die-cast vehicles is rolling out in June.

Heavily demanded by Hot Wheels collectors, car enthusiasts, and auto-makers alike, these collectibles provide hobby-grade editions big enough to allow our designers to pack in a mind-blowing amount of detail. Constructed with a hefty die-cast body and chassis with Real Riders wheels, each car uses at least 15 – or as many as 30 or more – separate production pieces for amazing authenticity. “Some of the chassis even have a separate ABS part for enhanced detail like exhaust, suspension, and drivetrain,” added designer Phil Riehlman. With so much room for a high level of graphic decoration, look for accented elements on areas like the interior, brake rotors, and more.

These are all-new castings, and we’ve assembled some of the most groundbreaking automotive machines ever put on the pavement. Riehlman said, “Variety is king. We selected super-cool vehicles from the Muscle, Exotic, Sport, Racing, Import, and Off-Road genres.” We’ve only chosen on-trend vehicles with global appeal to join this line. (See below for the mixes planned this year.)

Holding to our time-honored tradition of Hot Wheels packaging that elevates the collector experience, we’ve not only developed a product you want to display, but one where you don’t have to choose between being an “opener” or a “card collector.” According to package designer Julian Koiles, “The artwork is created to sell the fantasy of each vehicle and show them as they would possibly appear in an advertisement or auto enthusiast magazine.” His illustrations position the vehicle at an angle which maximizes visible decoration.

Koiles also said he views the cards themselves as collectible, such as a baseball card or a poster. In order to capitalize on that aspect, each vehicle features a full-sized card within a Kar Keepers clamshell case. The vehicle itself is nested into a shape-molded piece to secure it without glue. The clamshell holds everything together – which allows you to open the clamshell and remove the car and the card if you wish without destroying the card. You can then replace them in the clamshell for display, storage, and protection.

For 2023, we’re beginning with three mixes, showing up first at Target.

Could contain: Machine, Spoke, Wheel, Alloy Wheel, Car, Car Wheel, Tire, Vehicle, Coupe, Sports CarCould contain: Machine, Spoke, Alloy Wheel, Car, Car Wheel, Tire, Vehicle, Wheel, Coupe, Sports Car

Pre-production images only. Final production design, colors and textures may vary.

Hot Wheels Premium 1:43 Mix 1:

• ’23 Corvette® Z06
  • Lamborghini Countach LPI 800-4

Hot Wheels Premium 1:43 Mix 2:

• Ford Mustang Mach 1
  • Jeep® Wrangler 392 Rubicon

Hot Wheels Premium 1:43 Mix 3:

• Mercedes AMG GT3 EVO
  • Nissan Skyline GT-R (BNR34)

©2023 Mattel. All Trademarks not owned by Mattel are the property of their respective owners, and are used with permission. Items and dates subject to change. Production items may vary from the photos shown. Mattel reserves the right to modify the color, decorations, scale, body, and wheel type. Product subject to availability.

General Motors Trademarks used under license to Mattel, Inc.

The “Lamborghini” and “Lamborghini Bull and Shield” trademarks, copyrights, designs and models are used under license from Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A, Italy.

• Like 13

Related News

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I would love to see a Chevelle's, 1965-1970.  Also, 1960 Corvette, 1963 Corvette split window, & a 1964 Corvette Convertible.  1978 Corvettte Pace Car. 2019 Corvette Grand Sport in Long Beach Red.  1987 Monte Carlo SS. 1985 Camaro IROC-Z. 1979 Camaro Z28. 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Sierra Denali Ultimate. 

Thank you,

J Olesen

Avoca, IA

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

They look good but are a bit pricey for 1/43, maybe because I associate HW with mainline and enjoy collecting in huge volumes. PEG HUNTING!  I would probably be more interested in classic American Muscle Car Stuff in 1/43, I have some resin-cast 1/43 stuff that was insanely priced, I guess it depends on the eye of the beholder.  Nice stuff, but I like the 1/64 better.  Just my two cents and I am frugal, but I expected mass-produced to be in the ten-dollar range.

• Like 1

I have seen them 3 times, never felt like reaching and taking off the peg. Can you roll them backwards and release and they gooooooooo? Kinda reminds me of those type of cars that cost 5 bucks Lol The market is saturated...a little late to the party is my opinion.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Goldduster360 said:

They look good but are a bit pricey for 1/43, maybe because I associate HW with mainline and enjoy collecting in huge volumes. PEG HUNTING!  I would probably be more interested in classic American Muscle Car Stuff in 1/43, I have some resin-cast 1/43 stuff that was insanely priced, I guess it depends on the eye of the beholder.  Nice stuff, but I like the 1/64 better.  Just my two cents and I am frugal, but I expected mass-produced to be in the ten-dollar range.

They are not the pull-back cars. They definitely look & feel better than the $6 Kinsmart brand, but nowhere near worth $25 in my honest opinion. I already saw QC problems with paint when I saw them at Target yesterday, they don't have any opening features, and while packaging is def better than the others, it's just obnoxious & in your face. I feel like Mattel genuinely tried to please the buyers with this but they missed the mark in few key parts. Slap that very uncompetitive $25 on it and u have the perfect recipe for peg warmers. Pass for me for now at least.

• Like 1

I was excited when I found the Vette and Lambo at Target. Didn't know about their existence. Then I took them to the pricing pole and, what!?! $25? Hahaha... yeah... no. Back on the shelf they went. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These have been sitting on the pegs at my local Targets since they came out about a month ago. Looks like no one really want to touch these. At $25 a pop, you can do better with other brands. 

• Like 1

Bought the lambo and love it already, it's perfect for photography due to the amount of detail on it, plus I appreciate due to the resealable packaging only having to buy one. Now if only that packaging would shift to team transports to. as for the line im taking it by a car by car basis, but I Def am looking forward to the jeep, mustang and merc. Also as for the price I do find 25 to be good value due to the detail and complexity as most other similar cars and brands I know of at least would have this marked 30-40 so 25 is actully a steal for what you get and the scale, and as for those thinking it should be cheeper if tt is already 16 and has way less detail and parts then how could this be any cheeper then that, but I guess I should be happy about that as it has deterred resellers and made the lime easy to get for the average collector or in my case photographer who wants them.

• Like 1

I was expecting people complaining about the $25.00 price. I guess those complainig is because they cannot make on these models the margin they do with the basics and the premiums? It is not the same to ask $20 for a $5 car than to ask $100 for a $25 one. There is no market for that, and these resellers who call themselves "collectors" know it.

A real collector won't mind the price. The problem is the models Mattel selected to begin. Relaunch this series with classics real collectors like. Why not the VW Drag Bus, the Firebird, Bone Shaker? Even the Skyline that this generation of collectors love; it is coming on Mix 3, it should have been on Mix 1 if Mattel wanted to create  excitement.

I have seen the first release in Target, peg warmers, that is the reality. Hope Mattel re-thinks this and dont let it die. I like them, but make it HW classics from different decades. Forget about those exotic cars.

On 7/25/2023 at 2:22 PM, Davidstingray said:

Haven't seen any of these at the three Target stores near me.  If they were out in June they must have went fast.

Why don't they offer them to collectors here?

I have mixes 1 & 2. Found at my local Target. $24.99 each.

Does anyone know if these cars became available in Canada, and at which store(s)?

I would like to see Mattel make these available for online purchase, if they were not, or have not been made available in store.

9 hours ago, AntBee said:

Does anyone know if these cars became available in Canada, and at which store(s)?

I would like to see Mattel make these available for online purchase, if they were not, or have not been made available in store.

I saw in another thread that a Canadian member got theirs at Toys R Us.

Hey HW,

I dig you crackin into the 43.. It's awesome... The dominance in the 64 makes for a natural progression! 

Personally I think the finished 43 product doesn't have the design dominance of the 64.... 

With the 64, there is a slight oversizing of the wheels to body, just...

With the 43 releases thus far, the wheels and rims have been a little disappointing.. In detail, design and look..

Digging the goal! Keep pushing xx