Going Up to the Country: 1964 Chevy® C10 Pickup Truck

By Gary Barnum

Feel like some fresh country air? This vintage truck will get you there! The Matchbox Collectors 1964 Chevy® C10 Pickup Truck with opening hood is a breath of fresh air for your collection, and you can order it from anywhere you get Wi-Fi access – country or city.

By the 1960s, Chevrolet had established itself as producer of trucks with solid performance. But why not up your game? They took aim at style and comfort, and by 1964, this C10 emerged a winner. With a hood taking shape inspired by aircraft designs and independent suspension technology providing a more comfortable ride, this truck was ready to cross fields or streams as needed and look good doing it.

Our Matchbox casting debuted in 2019, and it’s been a powerhouse among enthusiasts. But nothing could prepare you for the level of detail featured in our new collectible series – from the opening hood with painted engine to the True grip wheels. It arrives in oversized acrylic packaging with a diorama background that puts you back in touch with nature! And that’s a call you don’t want to miss…

MBX_Article_ImageSet_GRJ36_ChevyC10.thumb.jpg.4ab5425089c90d699ed3dfcbda0d64b9.jpg

Specs:

• Features: Opening hood
  • Body Color: MB Pearl Gold
  • Deco: Silver and white stripes on sides with authentic C10 logos on sides, and “CHEVROLET” on the tailgate
  • Body Type: ZAMAC
  • Wheels: True grip 5-hole wheels
  • Base: Silver VUM
  • Window Color: Smoke-tinted 
  • Interior Color: Black
  • Scale: 1:64

Packaging:

• Packaged in an oversized acrylic case with terrain-molded base and environment-themed panorama background in a window box with a sturdy outer box

Availability:

• Anyone (until sold out): Thursday, December 2nd at 9:00 a.m. PT

Pricing and Purchase Limits:

• Priced at $25 plus shipping and processing each; extra charges may apply for express shipping or special handling (customers shipping to Canada may be required to pay additional shipping charges or taxes)
  • We do offer international shipping to other countries – please see shipping costs and details here (international shipping availability subject to change)
  • Refunds only, no exchanges

Items and dates subject to change. Production items may vary from the photos shown. Mattel reserves the right to modify the color, decorations, scale, body, and wheel type. Product subject to availability. 

• Like 6

Related News

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

2 minutes ago, Stacy Wacoche said:

Is this available for everyone or do you have to sign up for something???

It's usually 10,000 available. Well. For matchbox. Plus. The past 3 cars they released. We're around 10,000.

31 minutes ago, Roblee81 said:

Should be 10,000. Like the last 3 castings they released here. 

Was this stated in sales posts for other releases or stated in a post officially by Mattel?

Was this on an official holographic style sticker on the other releases?  I've not bought any of the other offerings.

Or, is this just diecast aisle speculation based on the rumor mill?

Genuinely curious.

As a long time Matchbox Collector I will probably try to get one of these, however.... I am disappointed in the quality of the release for the price.  It appears that except for the added plastic box (instead of cardboard picture box) and a different color it is the same as the Premium line sold at Wal Mart and Target for about 5 and a half bucks.  Mattel Creations Matchbox Collectors cars should be something special and better than what I can buy at retail.  For example Hotwheels Collectors $25 premiums are different cars, have special paint, unique tampos, chrome metal bases, and often special wheels not seen at retail.

I would really like to see this line succeed as I like well detailed Limited Edition Matchbox cars but the offerings to date are not even close to the standard Mattel has set with the Hotwheels and Redline Collectors models.   I am hopeful that now that Mattel has a handful of sellouts showing a demand for Limited Edition Matchbox we will see something better.  I don't think they will keep selling out at this quality point.  I know I won't keep buying them if they don't improve.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

@MattelCreations Staff it would also help be a point of emphasis to show if the engine bay has detailed deco too.

Like the retail version has a deco'd engine bay.

This to me is another nice casting but paying $20 for a case and an unstated "limited" production run for a retail level execution "premium" vehicle seems a bit excessive.  Is the VUM'd chassis the only upgrade over the $5.50 version at retail?

This needs a metal base and some unique RRs that it hasn't already worn at retail to justify the cost.  I like the direction with the MB releases but there needs to be serious upgrades done for the second year.  I see these like the majority of the HWC Series 1 releases where they're pretty much retail offerings being sold online.  Hopefully year 2 of Matchbox offerings on MC get some serious boosters before people turn their backs on paying more for nearly equal what you get in the stores.

4 minutes ago, TKZWOLF said:

As a long time Matchbox Collector I will probably try to get one of these, however.... I am disappointed in the quality of the release for the price.  It appears that except for the added plastic box (instead of cardboard picture box) and a different color it is the same as the Premium line sold at Wal Mart and Target for about 5 and a half bucks.  Mattel Creations Matchbox Collectors cars should be something special and better than what I can buy at retail.  For example Hotwheels Collectors $25 premiums are different cars, have special paint, unique tampos, chrome metal bases, and often special wheels not seen at retail.

I would really like to see this line succeed as I like well detailed Limited Edition Matchbox cars but the offerings to date are not even close to the standard Mattel has set with the Hotwheels and Redline Collectors models.   I am hopeful that now that Mattel has a handful of sellouts showing a demand for Limited Edition Matchbox we will see something better.  I don't think they will keep selling out at this quality point.  I know I won't keep buying them if they don't improve.  

I haven’t bought any of the matchbox releases this year for this very reason.  I’m looking at the superfast I already have and all I can see is a few more tampos.  The headlights are done and the tailgate.  Not sure I can justify an extra 20$ for that.

I’ve been disappointed with this matchbox collectors releases.  I expected more.

• Like 2

Meh.

Guess I’ll buy one to support the brand and in the hopes that Matchbox Creations releases will get seriously upgraded in the near future, with metal bases, more interior detail, and higher quality castings. But honestly, this is the least exciting release of all the ones done so far.

Matchbox is missing that ‘Wow’ factor that most RLC releases have, and this doesn’t do much to move the needle IMO. Needs something extra, something truly extraordinary, beyond just the base, in order to make these ‘must have’ releases.

7 hours ago, TKZWOLF said:

I believe one of the main points, would be to equip this particular model with a metal base. As a collector who desires a unique, low production vehicle based on premium components.. there's something about a solid piece that's constructed to be a true diecast with integrity!

I like chrome, but a premium model it seems is the norm to have that now, as opposed to a lesser, mainline model.  For the advertised price, keep the damn plastic case, give me more metal, chrome as needed, nice wheels, tampos as appropriate, and rubber tires. In this day and age, with Covid ruining the economy and companies & corporations trying to stay afloat, hopefully we'll skate past these tight times and wait to see how things will shape up in the future with this hobby.

I'm somewhat hopeful we'll get past this, just like the recession from 2009/2010 because that was a bummer so maybe things will again get better in this respect too!

• Like 2

I might as well go for it since I own the other 3 MB made available. I applaud Mattel making this diecast line look like Matchbox. I mentioned before I don't want to view a diecast from Mattel and wonder if it is a Hot Wheel or a Matchbox, wanting each line to look like it came from that diecast's department and creators. I understand many are complaining about the price, but to me, personally, lower production numbers on the different releases from Matchbox are worth the extra funds to have each release a bit more limited compared to the Hot Wheels runs of 20k-30k.

I don't like the Wheels and color of the tempos....it's a huge mistake...the Matchbox "Collectors" and "Superfast" series have a better wheels, they can choose one set from that series, the color of the tempos...damn...gray and white do not match the gold color in anyway possible, that is why the nice casting loose the appeling and the size of the plastic case it's oversize...you can fit 3 castings in there...Matchbox Division or Department need to out their minds together  and do Better

• Like 1

Another crappy VUM base release. Hard pass on a casting with this quality for 25$ + shipping. I have Benz and Landy and I am gravely dissapointed. Bad decisions combined with lackluster quality. It really saddens me that when Mattel finally decided to give MBX some premium space, it is in this form. Not premium - like at all. I just feel sorry for the MBX brand that it has to endure such wrongdoings.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LukasWilliams said:

Another crappy VUM base release. Hard pass on a casting with this quality for 25$ + shipping. I have Benz and Landy and I am gravely dissapointed. Bad decisions combined with lackluster quality. It really saddens me that when Mattel finally decided to give MBX some premium space, it is in this form. Not premium - like at all. I just feel sorry for the MBX brand that it has to endure such wrongdoings.

As a big MBX collector these releases have yet to draw me in. I hate to agree with you but man the quality isn't there yet for the price. Instead of focusing on the base+car they should have put more into the cars. The paint is a nice pearl gold but the tampos are $5 premium quality at best. I really wanted to like it but with the oversized display and plastic vum chassis its gonna be another pass. Especially at the $35 price point ( shipping+ state taxes )

Edited by Deacono
  • Like 1

I went ahead and ordered one... Again as a show of support for the Matchbox Collectors line, and with how long production timelines are it's probably safe to say this was already in the pipeline when the first release was debuted.

That said I think we're all in agreement that future releases NEED diecast bases at a minimum and a few other features that make them truly 'special' with the wow factor RLC members expect. If not I'll discontinue buying as well.

I think the dioramas are a welcome, well thought out addition and very Matchbox which sets them apart. I think most buyers truly appreciate that added bonus, (the Land Rover and Chevy Pickup bases look amazing) and people are only criticizing it because the lack of diecast base or bonus features. These are not mutually exclusive however, we can have a double diecast and the awesome diorama as well at this price point.

The potential for this line is huge, think Porsche 911 Safari in a jungle setting on the right knobby tires, or new Porsche model in a showroom with dealer figure (think Magnus Walker RLC set) or even the much loved Cadillac hearse in a graveyard setting. 

The main thing seems to be it MUST be double diecast, little details like the lack of red tail lights on the Land Rover should be minded (this would rarely be overlooked on an RLC) and pieces that make it special and specifically 'Matchbox' would really make them desired and not just 'okay'. The Chevy pickup coming with special cargo (hay bales?) in the bed and/or 2 correctly scaled pig figures would be welcome. (think horse truck from the late 90s/early 00s)

Crossing my fingers the team at Mattel and Matchbox are reading this; lots of loyal MBX collectors out here with money to spend if our requests are listened too!

6 hours ago, MidwestCollect said:

This is not limited to 10,000, there is no cap. If you want one, you'll get one. 

They are limited, likely to 10k like the previous 3. If you look closely it says there is no quantity limit per user (versus 2 per address/account) UNTIL SOLD OUT. So they are limited it's not open ended.

This does point out however that we should see serial numbered labels like all RLC models at a minimum alongside the addition of a diecast base in all future releases. Having a footnote hiding on some diecast channel that 10k were made isn't good enough. Especially when knowing the exact quantity produced and unique serial numbers adds to the fun and value of collecting.

As much as everyone complains it’s a wonder they don’t just cancel everything and never make anything. Everyone complaining at rlc. Well. Rlc is dead. Everyone complaining about rewards. Rewards is dead. So keep complaining. This will be dead too. Personally, I love them. Love the case backgrounds. Vehicles have been pretty cool. Love it. 

• Thanks 1