A Sparkling Launch: The Barbie Crystal Fantasy Collection Amethyst Doll

By Ani Morgan

With their stark edges and luminous hues, crystal geodes could be considered nature’s version of abstract art. Designed by Bill Greening, the new Barbie Crystal Fantasy Collection is a love letter to the beauty of these natural wonders. A Barbie Signature Member Exclusive, the enchanting amethyst-inspired doll is the first in this series – and as chic and commanding as they come.

Wrapped in a purple chiffon gown with glittering accents, this jewel-toned beauty is a study in polished elegance and powerful luminosity. A true maximalist, she wears a striking geode crown with matching wrist cuffs, while her platinum hair reveals a statement-making streak. The pièce de résistance is the genuine amethyst gemstone that adorns her neck and completes the look.

“This new line is inspired by the interest in crystals and the properties and energies they’re believed to possess,” says Bill. Indeed, the origins of crystal healing go back thousands of years, and the practice is widely embraced today, with people collecting and charging these magnificent minerals directly in the sun for increased potency. “Amethyst is often associated with healing, calming, balance, and peacefulness,” he continues. And it’s easy to see why. One look at its iridescent palette evokes an immediate sense of calm – everyone could use more of that!

494273113_MicrosoftTeams-image(29).png.901b2ba17b2ac5512e6260683836594c.png

Amethyst is a complex stone, with striking jagged edges and variegated hues ranging from pale lavender to deep lilac, violet, and plum. This richness is captured in the doll as well. She radiates with an ethereal, almost pure and translucent presence similar to crystals themselves. “We wanted to keep true to the colors of the amethyst crystal and carry tones of lavender and purple though her fashion, accessories, makeup and hair,” says Bill. “The Grecian style of her dress complements the fantasy theme of the stone and crystal well.”

When asked about his favorite detail, Bill shared “I love that her crown, bracelets, and lace-up heels carry the crystal theme from head to toe. They look like shards, giving the doll a magical and mystical feel,” he shares. “Of course the most important detail is that her necklace is made from an actual amethyst. I love that we were able to give this doll such precious and special detail.”

A doll this stunning deserves an equally jaw-dropping backdrop – and thankfully, that vision came to life through both photography and packaging. The photoshoot set can only be described as a crystal dreamscape. (See behind-the-scenes photos of the set below!) Reminiscent of a glowing ice sculpture, it has a modern, almost otherworldly point of view which carries over to the unique package as well.

1130227607_MicrosoftTeams-image(32).png.171871bf121deef2e0b45e62270767b0.png

1249195066_MicrosoftTeams-image(33).png.fa9a8bc9ff6c485dc48fcd43eab40500.png

“When we started to ideate this new Crystal Fantasy series, we brought our package team in very early in the process,” says Bill. “I shared my vision and my mood boards and they came up with this unique light-up concept that really drives home the magical, mystical vibe of the doll.” A first for Barbie Signature packaging, this truly elevates the element of fantasy in every way. 

The first Barbie Crystal Fantasy Collection doll is a Mattel Creations exclusive that’s only available to Barbie Signature members. It's a Gold Label release that retails for $100, with a 3-doll limit per member. Start your collection today with this amazing amethyst doll!

Related News

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

This will be a pass for me.   I have always enjoyed green designs, but this does not look like a 100$ doll. Its more playline to me,  I am not a fan of the face mold, and  the look over all. I will wait to see how the series goes, since I like the concept I will see how the second one will be.  For me personal i like  this one better  

See the source image

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm with you there, the 100$ price tag is a huge N-O from me. She doesn't look that different from play line dolls, all that plastic acc. I'm just not feeling it. Love the crystal cave set she's on though, lol. 

Edited by MiKeY
  • Like 2

it is false Advertising. she is NOT an exclusive whatsoever, she has been distributed in Asia & Europe since spring--she is still listed on Amazon Germany.  now Mattel claims she is a "member only" exclusive and  forces people who want her to pay $10 membership fee. It not a great way to promote its membership. besides, she does not live up to her big price tag $100

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 9/15/2021 at 1:33 PM, venusgoddess said:

This will be a pass for me.   I have always enjoyed green designs, but this does not look like a 100$ doll. Its more playline to me,  I am not a fan of the face mold, and  the look over all. I will wait to see how the series goes, since I like the concept I will see how the second one will be.  For me personal i like  this one better  

See the source image

Thanks 

• Like 2

The fact that for $100 Mattel couldn’t even add a real chain on the necklace, made a doll with cheap plastic accessories, cheap nylon hair, budget sticker stamp, and has the audacity to market it as a premium $100 doll is baffling to me as a long time collector. We have playline dolls from other companies sporting spray painted faces, high quality hair and real chains and jewelry… this is quite and embarrassing moment for barbie. This doll is $30 at most. And $30 would still be too much considering the cheap face stamping, jewelry and hair. The dress looks like a bad fabric too. That glitter belt looks so playline. It’s quite revolting. Mattel says they pay attention to feebback, but I still haven’t seen any improvement on the cheap sticker faces. This is a collector product. We are not dumb, we know that those sticker faces are not good, and when they’re pixelated, is even worse. Smooth spray painted faces should be regular at PLAYLINE barbie dolls, but here, on a COLLECTOR doll, Mattel is still unable to provide the bare minimum. Such a sad future for a household brand. Competition for 1/4 the price offers more quality and detail than $100 Barbie Style collectibles or this Jewel Fiasco. The picture inserted is a PLAYLINE doll that costs ONLY $35, has real chain accessories, working zippers, spray painted face, high quality hair, TWO premium outfits and premium painted accessories with different textures, Articulation and stand. It’s embarrassing MATTEL. EMBARASSING. For $100 you can’t provide collectors HALF this quality.

• Like 4

On 9/17/2021 at 7:55 AM, KenzieMills said:

The fact that for $100 Mattel couldn’t even add a real chain on the necklace, made a doll with cheap plastic accessories, cheap nylon hair, budget sticker stamp, and has the audacity to market it as a premium $100 doll is baffling to me as a long time collector. We have playline dolls from other companies sporting spray painted faces, high quality hair and real chains and jewelry… this is quite and embarrassing moment for barbie. This doll is $30 at most. And $30 would still be too much considering the cheap face stamping, jewelry and hair. The dress looks like a bad fabric too. That glitter belt looks so playline. It’s quite revolting. Mattel says they pay attention to feebback, but I still haven’t seen any improvement on the cheap sticker faces. This is a collector product. We are not dumb, we know that those sticker faces are not good, and when they’re pixelated, is even worse. Smooth spray painted faces should be regular at PLAYLINE barbie dolls, but here, on a COLLECTOR doll, Mattel is still unable to provide the bare minimum. Such a sad future for a household brand. Competition for 1/4 the price offers more quality and detail than $100 Barbie Style collectibles or this Jewel Fiasco. The picture inserted is a PLAYLINE doll that costs ONLY $35, has real chain accessories, working zippers, spray painted face, high quality hair, TWO premium outfits and premium painted accessories with different textures, Articulation and stand. It’s embarrassing MATTEL. EMBARASSING. For $100 you can’t provide collectors HALF this quality.

This. Exactly my point, for 100$ it's outrageous. I'm also a long time collector and have seen that the quality in the dolls I purchased has dropped significantly. My last order, the doll was a total mess in the box. I was so disappointed, these dolls aren't exactly cheap at prices to 50-100. For a 100 I'm expecting Silkstone quality, and accessories! Like nice accessories, not some cheap plastic bracelets/ and yes, premium outfits pls. This doll is so basic bare bones, the price asked is way too much, they made my eyes literally pop out of my skull. Also, that doll you put in the photos is lovely :]

• Like 1

I ordered one for my daughter's 9th birthday in February. Her birthstone is Amethyst and she doesn't have many collectable Barbie dolls of her own. I'm Australian, so I actually paid $160AUD with the postage too. I just hope it's not damaged because it'd be a nightmare to get a replacement. This doll is the first time I've ordered from America due to the high shipping in the past. I am also hoping to get MerKen for myself as well

• Like 1

Amethyst is a very common and inexpensive gemstone.   For a $100 doll, they could have done her tiara and the necklace in amethyst.   Dragon Empress must have lost her luggage, because she has stolen Liz Taylor's White Diamonds gown for this photo shoot.  Come on Mattel.... get it together.

• Like 3

On 9/15/2021 at 12:33 PM, venusgoddess said:

See the source image

This Barbie you pictured here is not the kind of Fantasy he was going for. The artist that designed her created dolls like the Dragon Empress, Mermaid. and Unicorn Barbies. I personally love his creations and style!

There is a serious issue with quality control, I've received so many dolls with boxes dented, face paint issues. Hair line cracks in the body, the hair that looks nothing like in the photo. My Lucille ball dolls hair was out of shape, just terrible looking, I had to redo it myself. Not to mention her face paint was not done well at all. The Barbie dreamhouse repro I purchased was dented and ripped at one corner, and that was over 200 dollars. Seriously disappointed at the way these orders are being handled. It's not like these are 10 dollar play line dolls. It's really a hit or miss, I prefer to go into store but that's not the case with certain collector dolls that never make it to the shelves. Something needs to be done about this issue. I'm so tired of receiving sub-par quality, when I pay 40+ plus for a doll. 

On 9/23/2021 at 12:15 PM, Ritz65 said:

Oh wow sorry to here that your order didn’t come in tip top shape. They should have quality control so this shouldn’t happen after all these dolls aren’t cheap. 

Thanks......so get this......I opened the bottom of the box to try and see if something wasn't connected/if there was a battery........you can't really tell......all you can see is wires.........it still wouldn't work.  So I just put it back together and was getting ready to send it back.  I pressed the button and all of a sudden it lit up.  Now it lights up........but the bottom of the box is no longer sealed.  I had not planned on opening it at all.........and the backboard behind the doll is bent (it came to me that way).  I guess Il will just keep her.  Returning things is a hassle too.  I had a clover lane barbie that had a messed up box.  Returned it and tracking shows they received it in August........I have no refund..........and now my order history for it is gone and doesn't show on barbie.com either.  So now I wil l have to call them...........such a hassle lol.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Happy for you that it’s finally working, but sad that you had to open it, as well as the box isn’t in tip top shape. They definitely need better Customer Service and quality control. 

1 hour ago, Ritz65 said:

Happy for you that it’s finally working, but sad that you had to open it, as well as the box isn’t in tip top shape. They definitely need better Customer Service and quality control. 

Thanks.......yeah..........I would have definatly sent her back if I didn't like her so much LOL.  I do think it's a really pretty doll........they could have done a much much better job on the box........especially at the price.

• Like 2

I think it's pretty clear that Mattel is going down with quality and control issues.  Also the dolls began to get cheaper looking when Mattel switched from China to Indonesia.  The dresses for many of the articulated silkstones were much cheaper looking and had far less jewelry etc.

SO I ordered a second one (because I'm an idiot) and the light does not work in it either.  The box is ok, but the stand is floating around in it.  UGH.  WTH???  I'm going to call them Monday and see what they say about it.  I am going to return this one.........but curious to see what they will say.......will let you all know.

Edited by danaguy71
  • Sad 1