Celebrate With Us: 2021 Día De Muertos Barbie and Ken Dolls!

By Allen Voivod

In 2019, Barbie Signature released the first Día De Muertos Barbie Doll, and it sold out almost immediately. You can just imagine how thrilling that is for us, to create something so compelling for Barbie fans. And imagine our excitement when the 2020 doll sold out just as quickly! It's a joy to design dolls like these, and your enthusiasm inspired us to do more for 2021. 

This year, we welcome a new Día De Muertos Barbie Doll to the annual collection, and this time, she's brought a friend along to help her celebrate – the first Día De Muertos Ken Doll. To bring this pairing to you in time for the holiday, we tapped the creator of last year’s celebrated designs, Javier Meabe, to lead the project.

We asked Javier about feeling excitement or pressure for the new dolls, knowing how well received the previous ones were. His answer? "Of course! All of the above! Excitement because I love creating new dolls for this series and seeing them come to life. There's a huge sense of pride when designing the Día De Muertos dolls.

"There's also a huge sense of pressure because I want to make sure I'm representing my community and traditions correctly. It helps that I'm surrounded with a great team of creatives that help bring the vision to life. It wouldn’t be possible without them, their passion for the holiday, the brand, and most important the community, helping bring the sketch into a reality."

Blog_Inline_DDM_Sketch.jpg.910bbc46a97848fec714cfe8eb1b1d0b.jpg

In case you're not familiar with it, Día De Muertos is a two-day holiday in early November when families gather to celebrate the lives of their departed loved ones. It's about both death and life, vibrantly colorful, with some public festivals but mostly family-focused ceremonies. You'll often find the occasion commemorated with music, food, sweets, offerings, and flowers. 

Colorful attire is also a staple of the custom, as is the calavera, a representation of the human skull. Sometimes the calavera appears as an elaborately decorated mask worn by people during the holiday; alternatively, the calavera is painted directly on people's faces, also with unique designs and accents. Calavera face paint is what we did with the first two Día De Muertos Barbie dolls, and for the third, Javier took it even further – he extended the painting to depict the skeleton of Barbie down her neck and to the top of her chest.

Speaking about that, Javier says, "I always try to incorporate some new elements with each doll. That way each doll has something unique and special that they can own. I also wanted the artwork on her body to symbolize that her traditions are in her bones and will always be a part of her. The bone detail artwork on her neck has similar details and elements that can be seen on the artwork on the gown as well."

Knowing that there will be face paint also affects other design designs for the dolls. Javier explains: "When designing face paint, hair styles, and choosing face sculpts for the Día de Muertos series, there are a lot of things that I think about during the process. Keeping the make-up and hair style fresh and exciting is always a priority but making sure we keep the traditional Día De Muertos elements are important. Selecting face sculpts is also very important because we need to make sure that the sculpt and face paint work together. We want to make sure each sculpt is different for each doll. This helps us bring something new and exciting to the series."

As for the fashion: This year, the Barbie doll wears a traditional dress embroidered with sugar skull and flower details. A crown of marigolds with hidden skull details adorns her hair, complemented by a twisted headband detail. Her hair is pulled back to accentuate the intriguing calavera face painting that continues to her neck and forms the delicate skeleton. Sugar skull earrings, vibrant bracelets, and a cuff with sculpted skull details complete her look.

DDMGroup1.png.2e4a06b2d937bdc94e5f8c3833b71c5f.png

DDM_Group2.png.dc049070286e429185b08e468f90bf36.png

The Ken doll wears a charro-inspired look featuring black pants and a matching shirt with an embroidered floral design and silvery buttons, and a bow tie. His striking serape is decorated with sugar    skulls, bones, and vibrant flowers. A silvery sculpted sugar   skull design decorates his sombrero and belt buckle, and his face is painted in an impressive calavera design. Brown boots and a matching belt complete his look.

"There are so many great details and elements incorporated in both dolls," Javier says. "I love all the accessories Barbie and Ken are wearing. They're full of so much beautiful detail. Both dolls are full of a lot of bright and colorful artwork that helps capture the heart and soul of the Día De Muertos celebration."

Dolls this beautiful also demand a beautiful package that's suitable for display, and our amazing packaging team rose to the occasion. Packaging designer Sal Velazquez partnered with Javier to create cakebox-style doll boxes for each of the dolls, featuring original full-face illustrations of the dolls on the covers. Should you remove your dolls from their packages, you'll of course find a doll stand included with each, along with a Certificate of Authenticity. 

The 2021 Día De Muertos Barbie and Ken Dolls are part of our Black Label series of dolls, available for $75 each in our online shop. When they debut, there will be a limit of two (2) Día De Muertos Barbie and limit one (1) for Día De Muertos Ken Doll per person, so more Barbie fans and fashion doll collectors can bring them to their homes. (This limit is subject to change.)  

Because the previous Día De Muertos dolls sold out so quickly, you'll have to act fast if you want to add this perfect pair to your collection. And if you celebrate this holiday, we send you the warmest wishes   as you gather with loved ones and remember the lives of those you hold dear.

(Still want more? Check out these exclusive behind-the-scenes images from our Día De Muertos photo shoot!)

Blog_Inline_DDM_BTS_1.jpg.7eccb38ac3700ab9297276b3548f1461.jpg

Blog_Inline_DDM_BTS_2.jpg.00242ad4102463ef057eeb1a1c6c2d66.jpg

Blog_Inline_DDM_BTS_3.jpg.a4f5eb3deb99759c8c2829aa91c411b1.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

Related News

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I love this doll, I tried to order 2019,2020 online and the person I ordered from burned me. so I can't wait to order through

Mattel this will ensure I get what I ordered. love this set. and I would like to get previous dolls in the Dia De Los Muertos collection.

• Like 5

I have been talking about and waiting for this years doll since last years. Mattel page said its coming to a retailer near you on Sept 7. I have had bad luck with shipping before. Tell me if I am wrong, but these sold online only? This is heartbreaking.  I have been waiting to pick up one of these dolls in person and I would have paid the extra 9.99 to have pre access if I was not under false presence from the website. This breaks my heart 

Edited by Edward09
Adding more
  • Like 1

I don't know if I am allowed to say so or not. But entertainmentearth .com has these dolls for sale at msrp pricing of $74.99. Due to come out in October. They will not charge shipping until item has shipped. It's a wholesale store that sells toys & collectibles. Rather than supporting businesses that allow price jacking, purchase your doll from an honest company.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gigijax said:

Why send out an email with a series you did not make enough of? And you allowed crooks to get extra and triple the price to sell on Amazon and EBay. 

entertainment earth .com, has this doll for sale $74.99. Will be shipped out sometime in October. They don't price jack the way amazon or ebay does. Entertainment Earth won't charge shipping either until item has been shipped out.

2 hours ago, Edward09 said:

I have been talking about and waiting for this years doll since last years. Mattel page said its coming to a retailer near you on Sept 7. I have had bad luck with shipping before. Tell me if I am wrong, but these sold online only? This is heartbreaking.  I have been waiting to pick up one of these dolls in person and I would have paid the extra 9.99 to have pre access if I was not under false presence from the website. This breaks my heart 

entertainment earth .com, has this doll for sale $74.99. Will be shipped out sometime in October. They don't price jack the way amazon or ebay does. Entertainment Earth won't charge shipping either until item has been shipped out.

23 minutes ago, Sandy Harrelson said:

I can’t believe it sold out. Are you going to be released any more? Please let us know as she sold out in minutes!!! So upsetting!! 

It actually was released sometime this morning like at 9am, and within 10 minutes was sold out. I was aggravated because I have the other two dolls from previous years, and didn't get a chance to get this deal. But a friend told me to check out entertainment earth's fb page... y voila they have the doll.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I find it disappointing to find out how quickly these were sold out. As a long time Barbie collector, who has been a platinum member of Barbie for years, and who actually enjoys them and keeps them for myself (not to resell at ridiculous prices all in the name of making $), I certainly feel Mattel didn't show respect to their loyal customers. The company is excited they sold out so fast and I can understand why. Except Mattel did not account for reseller who bought excessive numbers of dolls. Having a limitation of only two per person is a fault on Mattel's part. Of course, the first option is to create more, as many of us collectors don't care about resell value, except this would just encourage the reseller to buy more. Maybe if you know something is highly desirable and popular, you could initially make them available to collectors giving us half a chance to purchase. If you require a person to have a membership and limit them to two per membership this would be incredibly reasonable. Unfortunately, I guess that at the end of the day, all Mattel cares about is the bottom line. You may want to rethink your business model because it is going to cost you customers. Especially right now when many people don't have the luxury of spending money on anything except basic living expenses, and without customers you will have nothing. I, for one, am finding collecting Barbies less enjoyable these days and may have to find somewhere else, where my money and patronage is more appreciated.

• Like 4

I only signed up for the membership a month ago and I got the presale email notification for these dolls a day and half before they went on sale. I was able to purchase both as a member, Barbie had a limit of two and Ken was one doll limit. After reading previous comments, I’m feeling very fortunate, as I missed out on the first two dolls of this line. 

• Like 1

Soy de Chile y  es injusto que no pude comprar la pareja de Barbie día de los muertos, Todo agotado y espere muchos meses por ello y solo se la ganan las membresias. ESTO ES DISCRIMINACION COMERCIAL.... a pesar que mattel cuenta con una base de correos electrónicos....

Yo quería comprar y todo Agotado..

Injusto

María Nilda Vicencio 

3 hours ago, Milplusspa said:

Soy de Chile y  es injusto que no pude comprar la pareja de Barbie día de los muertos, Todo agotado y espere muchos meses por ello y solo se la ganan las membresias. ESTO ES DISCRIMINACION COMERCIAL.... a pesar que mattel cuenta con una base de correos electrónicos....

Yo quería comprar y todo Agotado..

Injusto

María Nilda Vicencio 

Soy de los Estados Unidos. y lo mismo le paso a muchos otros. Cuando me entere de que la muneca se agoto a los 10 minutos de su lanzamiento. Por favor, consulte el sitio web de entertainmentearth.com, ya que los venden a precios de MSRP, y nada esto elevado. No se si envian a Chile o no; mucho menos, cual es su costo de envío. Pero vale la pena intentarlo.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, FREEBIRDOF71 said:

I find it disappointing to find out how quickly these were sold out. As a long time Barbie collector, who has been a platinum member of Barbie for years, and who actually enjoys them and keeps them for myself (not to resell at ridiculous prices all in the name of making $), I certainly feel Mattel didn't show respect to their loyal customers. The company is excited they sold out so fast and I can understand why. Except Mattel did not account for reseller who bought excessive numbers of dolls. Having a limitation of only two per person is a fault on Mattel's part. Of course, the first option is to create more, as many of us collectors don't care about resell value, except this would just encourage the reseller to buy more. Maybe if you know something is highly desirable and popular, you could initially make them available to collectors giving us half a chance to purchase. If you require a person to have a membership and limit them to two per membership this would be incredibly reasonable. Unfortunately, I guess that at the end of the day, all Mattel cares about is the bottom line. You may want to rethink your business model because it is going to cost you customers. Especially right now when many people don't have the luxury of spending money on anything except basic living expenses, and without customers you will have nothing. I, for one, am finding collecting Barbies less enjoyable these days and may have to find somewhere else, where my money and patronage is more appreciated.

I understand your frustrations. As I to went to purchase this doll and it was already sold out within 10 minutes. I was looking at Amazon and Ebay, and the prices are insane, double triple and quadruple msrp. So I went and purchased my doll from entertainment earth .com, for msrp pricing $74.99. They limit all buyers to 1 doll.
Mattel as well has a limit on the number per each customer, and they've made this very clear. They do all they can to try and ensure collectors get their item. Unfortunately, sellers have found a way around this limit... Which, isn't Mattel's fault. But blame it on the stinginess of others.
I won't support the price jacking and wouldn't purchase this doll at greedy prices. Entertainment earth is where I purchased my doll at introduction pricing. They only charge shipping once doll is sent out in October.
I hope this helps for now, and for future references IF anything like this happens in the future.

• Like 1

Just now, HeidiP said:

I understand your frustrations. As I too went to purchase this doll and it was already sold out within 10 minutes. I was looking at Amazon and Ebay, and the prices are insane, double triple and quadruple msrp. So I went and purchased my doll from entertainment earth .com, for msrp pricing $74.99. They limit all buyers to 1 doll.
Mattel, as well, has a limit on the number per each customer, and they've made this very clear. They do all they can to try and ensure collectors get fair chance at getting their items. Unfortunately, sellers have found a way around this limit... Which, isn't Mattel's fault. But blame it on the stinginess of others.
I won't support the price jacking and wouldn't purchase this doll at greedy prices. Entertainment earth is where I purchased my doll at introduction pricing. They only charge shipping once doll is sent out in October.
I hope this helps for now, and for future references IF anything like this happens in the future.

• Like 2

What good is being notified of it's sale after it's been sold out, as a member this is especially frustrating. Same thing happened last year with the release of the Barbie versions. Idiots bought up the dolls within seconds only to turn around and sell it for triple to those desperate enough to have one. 

• Like 1

I have purchased the two previous Día De Muertos Barbies. It makes me really frustrated that I don’t know they are out  until they are sold out!! Oh, wait, maybe I can feel better by getting ripped off on Amazon or eBay by paying $200+ for her. 

• Haha 1